Sign in to follow this  
John.Harper

Bleach Damage on Wood

Question

I do a lot of roofs and housewashing and I always cringe when I see exposed wood incase it gets hit by bleach and turns white but I've never had a serious issue with it. Today I was cleaning a roof and it was VERY windy and the homeowner had just stripped his deck. I kept it watered down tarped etc and somehow didn't have a problem but I was very nervous all day. What happens if you do bleach wood is there any way to fix it. Will a sodium hydroxide and oxalic wash fix it? Just curious so when the day does come I don't sit there talking to the homeowner without a confident answer. Thanks, John

9 answers to this question

You could brighten it to even out the look of the wood if the bleach leaves any spots it's not a big deal. If you are pre wetting the wood you shouldn't have any problems.

Are they not planning on staining the deck?

They're staining I think he just got done a day or two ago .. I talked to him about it while we were working he did a really good job with the full strip. I was just nervous because I complimented him on it and if I messed it up I would have felt really stupid. So you think a light oxalic wash would clear things up if this hypothetical event were to occur?

They're staining I think he just got done a day or two ago .. I talked to him about it while we were working he did a really good job with the full strip. I was just nervous because I complimented him on it and if I messed it up I would have felt really stupid. So you think a light oxalic wash would clear things up if this hypothetical event were to occur?

Yes oxalic will fix a problem like that for any spots made by bleach. Also if the wood is grey untreated and some over spray gets on the deck from as house wash or roof wash just spray the deck evenly with a light 12 % mix then rinse to even it out.

You don't really damage wood with bleach unless it's like straight 12% and it's not rinsed. Wood will dry out when cleaning with bleach but if the wood is oiled up after it will be just fine.

I use 12% to clean wood all the time before staining so don't be scared to use 12 % at the right mixture when needed.