Sign in to follow this  
John T

Who still bangs the physical labor part of your business over 50yrs of age??

Question

It seems I never really get away from the physical end of my business. My wife runs all of the office end. We have Employee's but yet I always find myself doing physical labor--- its probably what I do best anyway. Every day I tinker and fix equipment. The picture below is more my speed as far as doing the actual cleanings. I also do once in awhile go out at night to do some commercial flatwork myself because of scheduling conflicts.

So how about you 50+ in age business people out there. What's your "Physical end" of your business are you doing such as cleanings etc.

21 answers to this question

My dad is still out there a few days each week. He just got started in this business a couple years ago though.

Some people just love being out in the field.. I always did. Reason why I chose this business is because I never wanted to be a "Desk Monkey". Thumbs up for your Dad!!

I can still work harder than any employee I have.

I'm right with you on that Alexy!

I was really going to try and cut loose from the wand this year but a "Labor Shortage" prevented that....for the most part. I don't mind it, matter of fact I like going out and washing by myself, kinda peaceful.

But I don't work as much or as hard as I did a few years ago.....That's For Sure.

There is no "labor shortage" there are just a bunch of lazy people out there who do not want to work.

That was my weak attempt at being "PC".....I'm right with you on that also!

So what is the zamboni looking vehicle, John?

Alexy, you nailed it !!!!

Being 50 plus and still being this physical is a plus with the curse.

Staying in shape, .......... longer to heal.

So what is the zamboni looking vehicle, John?

That's the newest Cyclone that has air condition in it....ahhhhhhhhhhhhh No I don't own one but driving an aircondition vehicle for powerwashing--- Yea I could do that:)

I forget the height of it. It's around 6'3"...somewhere about that and this Cyclone can be used for many different types of large flatwork cleaning jobs such as parking garages. It's a complete closed loop system and "Supposedly" can run 8 hrs continuously before you have to drain all the dirty water out of it and refill it with fresh water.

I tried this machine in Vegas and it worked pretty good and if it can do all they claim it can, for some it maybe worth the Investment but it sure ain't cheap-- aprox $125,000

That cyclone looks very impressive. A demo with that machine to property companies would sell itself very quickly.

That cyclone looks very impressive. A demo with that machine to property companies would sell itself very quickly.

That's pretty much their strategy. They demo the Cyclone all over he place. I can't remember who actually owns the Cyclone but the company is worth something like 700 million dollars if not more. They also sell sweepers,scrubbers etc.

I'm still banging. My wife does all the paper work and scheduling , setting appointments for quoting and phone work. I quote all work . Had two washing trucks going and a wood prep/staining crew going in the spring but we got killed by the rain and got rid of the wood crew and some wood work . Quit 2 houses and a few decks. .Loosing college kids this Friday . Have a Craig's list ad going now for help. All I can say is wow ! 15 responses in a few hours and more after that.

I'm still banging. My wife does all the paper work and scheduling , setting appointments for quoting and phone work. I quote all work . Had two washing trucks going and a wood prep/staining crew going in the spring but we got killed by the rain and got rid of the wood crew and some wood work . Quit 2 houses and a few decks. .Loosing college kids this Friday . Have a Craig's list ad going now for help. All I can say is wow ! 15 responses in a few hours and more after that.

Sounds familiar, except I also do all the paperwork and scheduling. Paul, my main 28 yr. old helper the past two years suffered a hernia playing ice hockey in early March. Tried to work the first job of the season but the injury was just too debilitating. Posted a help wanted ad the next morning on Craigslist. Six calls in the first hour, starting at 7:00 AM! Hired Dave, the first caller, who was at my home by 8:00 AM for an "interview" that morning. Best helper, with a traditional work ethic and a lot of construction skills, that I have had in 13 years in business. Do have another local young'un, at 36, usually available on call with a day or two notice.

I'm thinking of renaming the company "Geriatric WoodCare". Dave is 53, I just turned 60, so we're both getting a bit long of tooth! Never did any other type of Pressure Washing, but would guess that wood is not as physically demanding as many others. Sure there are difficult days, usually due to high temps & humidity. But overall, I still enjoy working on site and developing personal relationships with many of my customers.

And the best thing with wood care in the Northeast, you have a long rest and recuperation November into March!

Yeah, John. You look like your really humping it in that pic.

I've finally gotten to the point that Im not behind the wand. I felt like I was falling apart, plus I have hernia surgery next week, so I had to slow down just when I'm balls to the wall busy and cant see a slow down on the horizon. My newest employee is almost 60 though. after 30 years roofing, this feels like easy work, but he's definetely not used to the florida heat. I still pull hoses, carry buckets, do what needs to be done, but no pressure washing and I get to sit in the AC wasting fuel. I feel really bad about that sometimes

post-4622-137772469907_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chappy

Of course the very next day one of the guys couldn't come in. I think I need to work more just so Im ready to work when the time comes. Friday wore me out.

Of course the very next day one of the guys couldn't come in. I think I need to work more just so Im ready to work when the time comes. Friday wore me out.

Lol.. If I work 10 minutes with my guys I'm worn out..lol

I need at this stage of the game to be able to work at my own speed which is sloowwwwww but cautious which is why I excel now at fixing my machines...at my own speed.