turbonyg

Staining in mid 50's temps?

Question

I have a property manager with townhouses that they want the decks cleaned and sealed on. The issue is I can't start on them until october when they are vacant for the season. Spring would be the same temps as well as rain, so that's probably a worst option.

Looking at last years weather it was mostly high 40's and low 50's.

The decks look dry enough that I think they will need 2 coats.

Decks are only about 125sq and only 1/2 have a single rail with spindles about 15'.

Any and all suggestions on best application methods would be greatly aprreciated.

8 answers to this question

Hello Doug,

If you keep our stain at room temperature before applying, you will have no problems.  Call with questions, 1 209 541 6579 cell.

Jake

www.armclark.com

Doug,

We've stained exterior wood starting in the AM in the high 30's and into mid 40's in the PM a few times over the years.  But this is using Ready Seal which is a 100% paraffin oil stain.  Works OK,  but only on very porous wood, such as old pressure treated SYP or spruce.

The hard part of cold weather is getting the wood to dry out enough to a low moisture reading to apply any oil based exterior wood stain.

If you keep our stain at room temperature before applying, you will have no problems.  Call with questions, 1 209 541 6579 cell.

Based off of last years lisated temps, I need to plan for the 50* mark as about 1/2 the days were less (mid 40's) and the days warmer (mid 50-60) were scattered. Plus this property is about 500' off the Lake Michigan shore line.

We've stained exterior wood starting in the AM in the high 30's and into mid 40's in the PM a few times over the years.  But this is using Ready Seal which is a 100% paraffin oil stain.  Works OK,  but only on very porous wood, such as old pressure treated SYP or spruce.

The hard part of cold weather is getting the wood to dry out enough to a low moisture reading to apply any oil based exterior wood stain.

Rick,

I believe this is pressure treated pine. Some really dry and others look to be average with a couple looking newer. What moisture content is prefered and what is the most I can get away with for acceptable results?

Armstrong clark stain was the talk of my little town last weekend.

I did a freebee job for a restaurant that hired my company for the Exterior wash, and deck restoration on a hundred year old building. The freebee was the water wheel out front. It was original with the building. I was told that it was redwood.

We used oxford brown (customer insisted). It was perfect. Popped in front of the entire building. Lots of people stopped to take pictures of it running.

Felt pretty cool.

Armstrong clark stain was the talk of my little town last weekend.

I did a freebee job for a restaurant that hired my company for the Exterior wash, and deck restoration on a hundred year old building. The freebee was the water wheel out front. It was original with the building. I was told that it was redwood.

We used oxford brown (customer insisted). It was perfect. Popped in front of the entire building. Lots of people stopped to take pictures of it running.

Felt pretty cool.

Nice,

Any chance for a photo.  We don't have a water wheel in our photo gallery.  I hope you got a free meal for your good work!

Many thanks,

Jake