Sign in to follow this  
Ryan556

Official TGS 2013 Fall Hunting thread.

Question

Who here hunts. What do you go after? What are you hunting with this year? Post pics of your trophies!

I will be missing gun season for deer this year. I get a new ankle 5 days before the season starts. Not even allowed to have gravity weight on it for 2 1/2 months. That's also the reason I am not plowing this year.

I will be bow hunting. Just got a new bow this year. 2013 Elite hunter. Using a Truglo carbon XS sight. Regular old whisker biscuit. will be upgrading to a drop away rest.

2 Inch grouping at 40 yds. I WILL post pics tomorrow.

25 answers to this question

Some of us hunt, some of us gather. I guess I'm a gatherer, because I can anything that doesn't sit still this time of year.....tomatoes, peaches, apples, I make pickles, etc......

Beth

We grow a ton of food as well. All of our veggies, apples, pears, herbs etc...etc... I have a clausen copycat recipe that I love for fresh pack pickles.

Deer, turkey, and duck. Also fish for striped bass in the fall/winter as well.

Never fished for striped bass. Fishing is one more reason I can't wait to move south.

Not much of hunter, but my son wants us to go fishing t even though he hasn't been yet.

Take the boy fishing!

Take him to a spot with a ton of bluegill/sunfish. He will catch 20 and you can't make a kid happier. If you take him somewhere that he has to wait for fish...he wil probably get bored.

Edited by Ryan556

He's three and a half, not really sure he is of age. But what do you guys think? He'll be four in January and been thinking of getting him and I fishing poles for Xmas this year.

The fishing part is not important.  The being together is the important part.  Just as important, is his little friends who do not have a good father figure in their lives. You have a chance to make a real difference in some kids life.  Don't screw it up. 

^  Well that is real positive.

Fishing should be fun when first starting out at a very young age.  Ryan's suggestion of simple bluegills or sunny's is a great idea.  Little fish, usually bite on most anything, and easy and fun to catch for a little guy.  Don't remember being quite that young and never had children.  But would imagine a few hours without a catch or action would be a bit of a boring stretch for a youngster.

Time spent with a small child is important.  Fun time spent is more valuable and ingrained.

Back to the thread about hunting.  Long story, will try and be short.  2 Thanksgiving's  ago, we spent some time with my (inlaw) nephew and family in central NY state.  Arrived on Wednesday afternoon,  and as soon as out of the truck, my nephew declares, "We're going deer hunting early tomorrow morning".  Well OK, I'm up for something new and unusual.

Problem is, I've never hunted and the last time I shot a gun was around the age of 12 with a 22 long at YMCA camp.  He takes me out on his property, hands me a 30 ought(?) 6 rifle, and gives me 5 rounds to hit a target at ~ 80 yards.  I did manage to hit it around the edges with 2 rounds, and thought my right shoulder was permanently damaged.

Next morning, at friggin' 5:00 AM, we up and at it.  Private property of a friend of his.  Sit in a tree stand and gaze over the woods.  See a few white tails running out of range, and after 4 hours go back to the house.  Beer time.

Next morning, drags me out of bed before the sunrise.  "Let's go again!"  Cracks a big smile, hands me a beer.  People do not act like this in suburbia. 

Same place, different tree stand.  Quiet. lovely morning, warm when the sun comes up.  Peaceful, almost meditative., but I'm watchful.

I swear that this deer appeared right in front of me, like it was "transported" from space.  Maybe 70 or 80 yards away.  Never saw it browsing through the field right in front of me.  Took a shot.  Went down to the ground,  struggled up, and ran like a bat out of hell. 

We tracked the blood for about 300 yards and it was down.  Never heard the report of the rifle, or felt the recoil.  Maybe an instinctive genetic memory when man really had to hunt for food or starve.

Pretty cool story Rick. My dad isn't a gun person and the only time I ever shot a gun was with my sisters X-boyfriend when I was 13 years old and we were shooting cans. So not much fo hunter, lol. But I often have thought about trying it out. Just don't know if I would be able to pull the trigger and don't know anyone around my area that hunts as well that I could go with and see if it's for me. But I've always been interested in archering so if I did go deer hunting I would really like to try that route.

Wow Rick, a 300 yd run is a long run! I chuckled when you said "People do not act like this in suburbia."...There is no way I could live in suburbia. You should try actually going to deer camp once. Deer camp is a special time for a man. You get to be a MAN. Throw beer cans at your buddies. Burp, Fart, cook meat over fire and drink more beer. Then wake up at 0430 to head out to your stand.

Bow hunting is different. Bow hunting is actually very cool. I prefer to spot and stalk hunt while bow hunting. During bow season, the deer aren't spooked from all the gun fire. If you know what you are doing, you can walk right up on them.

After work yesterday, I was stalking a herd on my fresh grounds. This property hasn't been hunted in over 10 years. I got within 10 yds of 2 yearlings before they snorted away. I watched as the herd of about 8 ran across the open field to the wood line.

I paused for a moment to watch them and then continued on. Just as I started to walk. They ran out of the woodline and back across the field. The same 8 or so deer. One buck in the mix was a big 6/small 8...too far to tell.

THEN...

Then the real buck showed himself. He was at the rear of the herd. He trotted out into the open field and stopped. Looked directly at my buddy and I and stomped. He knew we were there and he knew we were watching him. What a show he put on. He stood there stomping the ground and grunting and snorting. Challenging us. He was easily the biggest buck I have ever seen with my own eyes..not on tv. He stood there for a good 2-3 minutes before taking off after his herd.

It was amazing. I told the property owner and he said that I could take it if I can. I told him that I will let him take it. I am after freezer meat. Bucks that big and old arent good for much else than burger.

Pretty cool though.

Kristopher, that is the perfect age to take a kid fishing. 4-5 is the time to turn them on to outdoor sports. Not only is it fun, it is also a skill that may save his life one day. My youngest son loves catching bass. He is 7. He is also shooting a .22 now. He started with a pellet on his 6th B-day. He loves the .22 because it actually makes noise.

Now he wants a bow...

Oh...I forgot..I said pictures...

1st pic is from 30 yds.

2nd pic is at 45 yds.

3rd pic is opening day of gun season last year. My buddy's garage.

post-8065-0-69361300-1379552393_thumb.jp

post-8065-0-44594500-1379552431_thumb.jp

post-8065-0-29316400-1379552798_thumb.jp

Edited by Ryan556

My oldest was in diapers for his first camping trip.  Destiny was also in diapers for her first elk hunt.  Backpacking started at 6 or 7. Shooting started at about 9 or 10, fishing the same age.  Kids take to the outdoors quickly, and they are washable.  I taught Nick to pee on a tree at 7, and that to play in the fire, he had to bring wood into camp. At 6,  Destiny learned the wood stove was hot, but she refused to cry.   Now the kids are older and have jobs, or school functions. 

Kristopher, some states (Oregon) have classes to teach adults how to fish, shoot rifles and bows.  We also have the chance to mentor kids on special hunts. http://www.dfw.state.or.us/education/hunter/  Various hunting and fishing groups have projects needed volunteers.  http://www.rmef.org/Events/StateChapterEvents.aspx  California RMEF events.  Those big game dinners are fun, we have attended Ducks Unlimited dinners in the past. 

We do not know what deer season will be this year.  My knee is really hurting, so Buck Season may not happen for us this year.  Or we may do day hunts from a motel this year.  But, My knees will be better by elk season.  Nothing beats elk hunting, nothing.  We have had elk wake up by walking through camp, talking to each other and lisening to the coyotes & Wolves howl. 

I may try Turkey hunting this year, we have too many here in Maine and they are damaging fields and eating food that Deer would normally eat. I've heard that Maine Turkeys aren't the best tasting, but we shall see.

One thing hunters and fishers do is support all wildlife.   Every gun, bullet, target,  has a 10 or 11%% tax placed on it.  the money generated is used for wildlife habitat, research and other purposes.  Fishermen have a tax placed upon their gear and it is also used to benefit fishes and their habitat.  Birders, hikers, off-road bicyclists, off-road motorized sports, flowerists (sp) all receive a benefit which they do not pay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittman%E2%80%93Robertson_Federal_Aid_in_Wildlife_Restoration_Act

When you read about evil hunters and fishermen, no mention is made ny the media about the above.  Thank you evil outdoorsmen and women!

My daughter, who is eight, has decided she's DYING to go hunting. I keep asking her if it's going to bother her to kill a deer or a rabbit or a squirrel. "No mom. It's just the circle of life."

I don't mind going to the range and shooting, but hunting is a different story. I also had to be in charge of fishing on our vacation this summer because Mike had to return home early due to work. I got past the touching worm issues pretty quickly.

Edited by allisonhester

^^^ Nice!

My 3 year old princess wants to hunt so bad! I know she doesn't understand it though. She was so disappointed the other day when I brought home a camo had for my youngest son. She asked to come to the "deer store" with me so she could get a pink deer hat.

I bought her one the next day...I am such a sucker for that tiny little blond haired blue eyed princess.

Opening buck is tomorrow, we are going to pass.  We will be out next weekend. This weekend, my knee is not ready for the rough ground, and the ribs are not healed enough for packing  a deer.  Doe starts the 11 of Oct.  I don't  have a tag, but Dee does, Cheryl and I do not.   Probably motel camping for  that hunt also. Nov 11- 16 is Elk hunting.  That will be 9 weeks and I will be ready to set up the tent for camping.

Douglas,

Elk season is one week only?  Wow things have changed since I haunted the mountains in the 60s and 70s.  Back then elk season was from the 1st of Sept thru Feb.  Could hunt anywhere in the state you wanted at any time.  Pretty hard not to be successful.   Two elk allowed either ***.  I usually picked up my tags at any store on the way to the mountains.  Bear were varmints - no tag needed.  We ate a lot of elk and bear meat.  Recently I decided to go harvest an elk but discovered one must select a hunting area and apply for a 'drawing' months in advance.  No thanks.  Guess I'm spoiled.  Good luck.

Richard

dove season opened a couple weeks ago. If you havent dove hunted its a chalenge. But they eat good. Im old school. Im about processing your own food. Like Allison's daughter said. Its the circle of life. Ducks, deer, fish an occacional hog. Its all good.

Doug and Richard, I miss Elk hunting from when I lived in Colorado.

Edited by centexpw

OOOOHHHHHH BOY!!!!

Spent 2 hours at the range tonight. I just finished packing everything up. I leave in 4 1/2 hours!!!!!!

OPENING DAY!