Sign in to follow this  
allisonhester

Free Ladder Accident Infographic

post-5154-0-80071400-1380510497_thumb.pn
In my research on ladder-related injuries today, I came across this infographic, which was published in September 2012 and is based on numbers in the U.K. (I haven't found anything this good for the U.S. yet.) Despite the fact that the numbers came from overseas, the point remains the same: customers who take on ladder-related cleaning jobs -- such as DIY gutter cleaning -- are putting themselves at risk. It seems to me like it could be a valuable tool to stick in your marketing materials or post on your website. It's free to copy and use. I've put it on our website with the embed code (go to http://www.ecleanmag.com/free-ladder-accident-infographic-2013-09-29/ for the embed code. It's at the bottom of the post below the graphic.) Turn it into a blog on your website if nothing else.

Might want to look at this link from Gainger lots of good info on OSHA and ANSI requiremnts for ladders for commercial use. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/static/ansi-osha-ladder-requirements-132.html

This is a issue at many large government and industrial jobs where they have been added as a loss payee on the insurance for your work.

When i was in the fire department went to ladders class(one of many classes)anyone can at a community college. Accidents only happen from those that rush and not respect the tool they are using. when alone it is wise to secure your ladder to keep fromsliding. Many make mistakes by placing the ladders feet to far out, you want your ladder nearly straight up, best way to set usually is place your feet at the ladders feet and your hands on the rung in front of you this way your placment of your ladder is about right. Also inspect your ladder for cracks and weakness. Also to test your ladder extend it to its full working length then place laddder across supported by the ends and high enough of the ground for testing. Now if your ladder is rated lets say 250lbs, at center of ladder place 250lbs of weight let sit for 10 min,remove wieghts and if ladder springs back it passes the test if it stays bowed, breaks of comes apart you need to put the ladder out of service.

Hopes this info helps a bit, its kinda what i learned a bit felt like a good thing to share. Also NFPA also has info on ladders as well heres a link that may help too. http://www.nfpa.org/catalog/services/onlinepreview/online_preview_document.asp?id=193210#

Make it a priority to check out the ladders classes in a community college it is very helpful and fun as well.

Marko