Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Bandarovich

Blue Puff

I have machines that do that with 2000 hours on them and the ones with 5 hours on them. When you squeeze trigger burner shoots a size able puff of blue really nasty smelling smoke and then burns clean. Every time you trigger it. Then when you drive after you can smell that nasty stuff in the van because machine still gives off that. My burner are direct vented through the roofs outside. What's going on here? Leaky solenoid a on old machines? What about new one?

I know blue smoke on a diesel truck is poor ignition of the fuel. Look at the fuel soleniod, fuel filter and the pump. Sounds like the soleniod since there is some fuel just sitting there at start up so it might be leaking.

Today after I was done with the job I shut down the new machine and was rolling up hoses and stuff. 10 minutes later I notices smoke faintly coming out of the burner stack with machine off. Checked the inside and had blue smelly smoke coming out of the coil wrap. Poured water bottle down the stack. Took out nozzle assembly. Haven't seen one like that. Looked ok but was soaked in diesel. Stuck my hand up into burner hole on the bottom to make sure insulation wasn't in the way. It wasn't but it was soaked. Nozzle is huge too 3.25 80b. All my other units have 2.25 80b. For some reason not pall of the fuel ignites. Was pretty scary.

post-2619-0-69119800-1385371817_thumb.jp

post-2619-0-28962200-1385371830_thumb.jp

post-2619-0-81401800-1385371841_thumb.jp

post-2619-0-46095300-1385371864_thumb.jp

Russ, can you explain to me how to work air adjustment on beckett burners? With wayne it's simple - loosen bolt on air band and move counterclockwise for less air, the other way for more. Beckett has airband and air shutter with numbers thingy and I can't find it in literature what the shutter does and how they correlate. Manual says - loosen both, adjust for clean burn, tighten back up - whole lot of help!

I would say as you run it have burner running and adjust until it burns clean. Most likely the setting the factory had at first would be your ideal setting. My unit i had since 99 and never touched the air adjustment. The old saying always works " If it aint broke dont fix it".

MArko

@ Andrew:   Just a guess, the second is probably to fine tune the air flow to clear the smoke. Just a guess though.

@Rapid HotClean:   A well built machine always makes you money. Also having a owner that is mechanically incline helps a bunch too. If man built it, man can fix it. And the big thing on a commerial unit these machine love just to be run, down time really effects them.

Marko