Sign in to follow this  
Aqua Pro

Can anyone help?

Question

First off, hello Grime scene..Been a while since I've posted anything.

I need a mentor- someone willing to train in exchange for some free labor....let me explain.

When I started my wood restoration company in 2005 I decided that before I even tried to offer services in my area I wanted to learn as much as I could. I was fortunate in that the people I talked to first were folks like Everett Abrams, Tony Szabo, Pete Marantey, Henry Bockman, Tom Vogal, Jay Tarintino (V-seal), Jack Kramer and of course Rod/Beth and this community.

Everett, Tony, Pete, Henry and Tom were on my speed dial as I was learning and they helped me tremendously in those early days.

Well, every year I go through this ritual where I start thinking of all the services I could be offering but don't for whatever reason or another. I'm there again. I have wanted to add epoxy floors to my list.

I really need to be honest here. I have let my company slack. I have not grown in the last 7 years. I'm really quite embarrassed at my lack of growth. It really mostly boils down to discipline. I just haven't put the energy and effort into taking it to the next level. It's time to quit talking about growing and GROW.

I'm really looking for someone outside my geographical area (so we are not direct competitors) that would be willing to "show me the ropes." Watching You tube videos is great but I really want/need hands on. I would be willing to travel to any location (preferably warm), check into a hotel and give you a couple/few days labor in exchange for some knowledge. I need training.

I need to work on SEO and get involved with social media, I need to catch up on my trade organization affiliation, I need to catch up on what's hot and what's not product/chemical wise, and I need to get my head back into the game. My trucks are dirty, my equipment is run down, and my phone book ads have expired. I have become pretty much a lazy, uninvolved, wait for the phone to ring contractor.

That's not to say that I don't take pride in my work when I do work. I love what I do and I think it's obvious that I don't want to do shoddy work; otherwise I wouldn't invest in the time to write this letter.

I've got roughly two months before spring and I need to get into gear.

Is there anyone following this forum that would be willing to give me the knowledge and skills needed to comfortably and professionally start providing this service in my area?

I may not just stop at epoxy flooring. I'm investigating concrete coatings and sealers in general. Possibly colored concrete stains etc. I do currently clean concrete drives and seal them. I have been using products from V-seal. I met jay and Jeanine in Memphis and we have stayed in contact ever since (I know they no longer run V-seal but I still use the product). I also restore (clean, resand and seal) pavers but I feel epoxy floors would be a great addition.

This post is a first step approach and jump starting this endeavor. The last seminar I attended was the PWNA convention back in 2007.

I'm looking forward to getting a few offers. I KNOW the Grime Scene caters to some of the best power washers/restoration companies in the country and that's why I'm here. I trust this community and really hope someone can help me out. This endeavor isn't just about me learning a new skill/product knowledge. It's also a way for me to get inspired. Getting around like minded folks goes a long way at blowing the dust off!

Thanks to any and all in advance for any help or advice you offer.

-Tom

Aqua Pro Cleaning Solutions

(630) 723-9296

www.aquaprocs.com

Edited by Aqua Pro

8 answers to this question

Hey Tom-- in 2007 I just finished my term as the PWNA treasurer. I was in Memphis if thats the Convention your referring to. The above names you mentioned are all excellent people who inmost part I learned a ton from as well.

My question to you and I'm being honest and hopefully you don't take this the wrong way, but what's holding you back to get to that next level? Why is it you want to have a mentor at this stage of the game to work with them? Are you sure you want to be your own boss and not just work for someone else like most of the population does? Nothing wrong with that of course.

What I would suggest for you is to redo your business plan. Try to join some groups such as the www.PWNA.org and re introduce yourself and look to network network network.

Answer this because I really want to know more about your determination. What's holding you back the most to be Successful on your own?

Sorry in advance if you think I'm being to blunt but it's the way I roll to help if I can.

Hi John, believe it or not I believe I remember you. Did you speak at all at the award ceremony? Mid 40's, dark hair? Lol not that it's important. .. just trying to put a face to the name. I also took part in the lincoln memorial clean across America stint. We're you there?

Anyway, no need to apologize for your candor. I appreciate straight shooters!

Judged by your reply though it would appear that maybe I didn't make my request clear. Basically what I was asking is for someone with real world experience that already does epoxy floors to train me. More/less take the learning curve out of it.

Wh3n I started aqua pro I had no idea what the difference was between a white tip or a red tip much less fullon wood restoration. It was only after reading everything I could get my hands on, taking the wood restoration class, picking the brain of the experts and trial and error that I got to the point where I felt comfortable stripping and staining a strangers deck.

I want to offer this new service but before I start promoting and selling such a service I want to be well versed in the 'lingo". I want to have that knowledge and real world experience already in place. I can read books or blogs and watch videos etc but nothing beats hands on. There are many established contractors across this nation that are already doing this type of work day in/day out that I could learn from.

Paul horsley years ago offered to teach me the ins and outs of fleet washing if I came to see him and of the "gurus" at Delco did the same.

I already mentioned those in wood restoration that showed me the ropes and now I'm looking for someone in this field for the same.

To me its like learning a martial art. One can read about energy drills such as chi sao or filipino hu bud but until you actually lock up with an expert it's impossible to appreciate that energy.

I don't want to work for anyone else. I just realize I need to get more focused on building on what I already have. That's a many faceted diamond. ...training/learning a new service is just a part of that gem.

Ps. I think I was off by a year on the Memphis convention. I believe it was actually 2006. It was 2007 that the PWNA gave me contractor of the year in cleaner times mag.

Those were exciting times for me. I invested a lot of time in product knowledge and really building my business. The market crash of 08 hurt me and I sort of just been drifting along since without any real dedication or discipline. I want to change that in 2014. That change includes revisiting my ad campaign, getting reacquainted with old contacts, reminding the 500+ customers I've already done work for in the past that I'm still here and offering at least one new service.

My OP is just one Avenue I'm taking to fulfill that last mentioned phase.

Either way. ...I will succeed! :-)

Edited by Aqua Pro

Hey Tom-- I was in the mid 40's then and your right Memphis was in 06. I'm not that active in the PWNA as much as I use to but I was told that I am the only member who request their minutes every month so I can stay abreast of what's going on with my membership dollars. Good stuff coming out with them soon.

As for Epoxy floors go the best way to find out who does that is to start a separate post on here and maybe a few other bulletin boards to see who excels at that and go from there. For some odd reason I think Everett Abrams does epoxy coatings but I may be wrong on that. You could reach out to him to double check on that.

Either way I am not much help for you on this topic but the best of luck to you anyways on this.

You need to immerse yourself in the service and get educated . Get trained by a manufacturer of epoxy coatings . It's all about concrete prep , moisture , and the application of the coat. Get trained by the manufacturer and get their support . Become a certified applicator of a product ?

Start going to the gym today and work out , wash the truck and start working on those machines. There is enough fat pressure cleaners and softbellywashers out there. Start lissening to motivation tapes to get going. Go after your old customers and customers who need wood maintenance.

If your in great shape forget what I said.

You need to focus on your business you have and make that better before you spend more time on trying to learn something new.

Start lessening to tapes is good, but you need to ask yourself what you want and where you want to go. Make a new business plan and goals. Before moving on to a new venture make the business you have better. Read the book focus.

Thanks for the advice everyone. James, thankfully I am actually in pretty good Shape. I work out often. Also I'm very seriously considering taking a certification course with elite create. So far I very impressed with their training program and ongoing support.

John, I will be calling Everett... of nothing else just to reacquaint.

Rsuds... I'll check out the book!