Aqua Pro

Rock Solid and Restore

Question

Ok, don't shoot me for asking this question but I HAVE TOO!

Every year something new comes along that claims to be the next best thing but my personal experience with products from Menards and/or home depot have not been good.

I hate Behr. I remember when I got into it with one of their lab rats over the problems with silicone being added to their stains a few years back. I wasn't using Behr- I was basically yelling at them for putting out such crap. I also remember when Restora came out and how it was supposed to be the greatest thing since the toaster oven...yeah ask Tom over at ACR what he thinks of Restora!

Anyway, I have been asked once or twice on these new coatings coming out that are basically being touted as liquid armor.

My first thoughts once I hear they are from the box stores is RUN! but every product is worth at least investigating. Having said that, I have no first hand experience on either Rock Solid or Restore but they are here and DIY'ers will be using them so I need to get as much info as I can about them.

Has anyone used them? Has anyone had to clean a deck with them already applied?  Does anyone know how the longevity is with them on different woods? What application could you see these being good for?

Basically I want to be able to educate my customers as to why they are GREAT or to why they should be shunned like a Pitbull at a cat parade.

Trex was AWESOME when it first hit the shelves....until folks seen the inherent mold issues and how much it sagged, how hot they got etc etc.

My educated guess is going to be "JUNK"- stay away. I can see MVT issues with the Restore product- much like the old non breathable latex stains had with bubbling and peeling through humidity trying to escape.  Or problems with wood expanding/contracting. I can also see a nightmare trying to refinish these decks down the road.

that's just my "haven't used them yet- enlighten me" take on it though

Edited by Aqua Pro

6 answers to this question

I couldn't talk my neighbor out of using Restore completely, but was able to at least get her to test it on some wood lawn chairs first.  After doing the chairs, she finally agreed on what I was trying to tell her.  It is a terrible product plus looks awful, and like Beth said "If the coating is not permeable.....RUN."

All of these companies keep trying to develop a product that can beat Mother Nature.  The fact is Mother Nature will eventually win.

I often tell customers who are looking into these 'Permanent' products as 'zero maintenance' solutions this: If you can't coat all 6 sides of the board...it is going to fail at some point.

The other is the products ability to either reflect or absorb heat. Wood by itself is an insulator and doesn't absorb heat. Adding these to the surface makes it retain heat and provides for an uncomfortable environment to be in till it cools down.

Most people I talk to only want to make the deck look good and never really intend to use it so they could care less about the above.

Rod

I tried out Rock Solid on a whim last year. I sealed a few 10+ yr old green treat boards (cleaned, dried to less than 5%, sealed as directed) and left them out in direct sun.  The pot life wasn't as long as advertised, even in my garage.  The peeling started after about 3 months.  

...I figure they're just another $100 Million class-action suit waiting to happen....