Sign in to follow this  
mordy

Ready Seal Maintenance

Question

Last year was our first year and we did 32 deck with Ready Seal. One of the selling points I use is that our stain does not need to be stripped off when we come back for maintenance coat in 2 years. My question is if customer waits longer to do maintenance coat, say like 3-5 years, at that point does it need to be stripped, or does a good cleaning suffice before recoat?

Thanks

6 answers to this question

Thanks Beth. I know you mostly use AC. how much more time would my customers get from it? I might give it a try this season. And with the ready seal are you saying that whats left needs to be stripped?

Ready seal recommends cleaning with bleach. Depending on what you need to clean off. Percarb cleaners work better here in the wetlands.

But, like Beth said. There really isn't any thing to strip. After 5 years it normally looks like nothing is on it. So if you are gonna use ready seal again.

just give it a good cleaning. I personally don't trust bleach alone without neutralizing it also.

Ready seal recommends cleaning with bleach. Depending on what you need to clean off. Percarb cleaners work better here in the wetlands.

But, like Beth said. There really isn't any thing to strip. After 5 years it normally looks like nothing is on it. So if you are gonna use ready seal again.

just give it a good cleaning. I personally don't trust bleach alone without neutralizing it also.

I would say 5 yrs is too long before oiling a deck again especially using RS max 2 yrs unless it's covered then 3 if you lucky. I use bleach all the time without brightening it all depends how the wood looks but stripping I always brighten.

In recommend 2 years also. But many people have been waiting longer. They don't think it needs it till it turns green or black.

I should edit my statement about bleach. Sometimes I will use my house wash for cleaning. Just hear a lot of neg advertising on bleach and decks so sometimes I will neutralize with vinegar or oxalic.