Sign in to follow this  
AquaTek2013

Exterior Doors?

Question

Have you ever stripped, cleaned and restained any exterior doors? My last client asked me to come back and do all the doors with the same AC stain I used on their deck and fence. How would you approach this job and how would you bill it? There are 7 doors total around 8-9ft tall and standard width. They all have glass in them. Is that an issue when stripping them? The old stain appears to be an inferior water based that is faded out in some areas. What would I strip them with?

I'm open to all input here folks! Thanks a bunch!

10 answers to this question

Doors? What kind of wood and what is on there now? Doors can be a real PITA.

Beth

I'm not sure? I assumed that most doors were made from some type of hardwood? The stain that is on them now is faded bad! I'm not sure what it is as they are not the original owners. I would imagine some cheap off the shelf big box brand exterior stain.

I would guuess the door has its original factory coat on it, would be my guess. Find out the maker of the door probably would help a bunch.

Marko

I stripped a door on accident once. I would do a test spot. If it looks good, just put am hourly clause in for sanding if needed/desired.

Your using deck stain, so it's not like fine furniture. Just be sure the doors are quality enough to handle water. And beware of the inside,,,, HMMMM,,, Did someone say PITA?

You can develop a whole business around front doors which companies have. Deck stains don't work well unless the doors have complete cover from the weather. The doors are usually to dense or to hard to except enough stain . Plus your dealing with an area of 30 square feet which presents a whole bunch of different variables to contend with.

I have removed the Doors to work on them . Used paste to scrape off the finishes and steam . Lots of sanding . Many coats of a sealer.

I have seen doors companies remove doors to bring back to their shops and put up plywood to block and protect the doorway until they finish. Very high end niche market and specialization .

All of these doors are covered. I'll get some pictures. I still haven't got by to give a quote yet. I figured I would pull each door down and work it off of padded saw horses. If it is a factory stain, how would I figure out what to strip it with? What stain would you recommend using? I thought about putting a marine grade poly over it? What would be your thoughts on that? I'm certain I couldn't do that over any oil based stains, right? If I don't use the poly what would be a good route to go? I want to be able to present options when I go back to meet with them

So if they are undercover something like AC can work and is easily to care for over time.. You can use a soy paste and scape it off . Or a strong stripper or steam . I had good luck with steam but it really furs the wood .