Sign in to follow this  
tcolborg

Oil on Asphalt help...

Question

Got a quote to clean some oil off asphalt and wanted to get some thoughts. I haven't cleaned a ton of oil stains, a couple in a motorcycle garage but that was concrete.  Not sure if the asphalt would be much different in cleaning method. It has been getting built up over the past couple years and is about 30ft x 2ft. I was thinking about hitting it with 1:1 EBC with about 25 min dwell and agitation, then hitting it with hot water and surface cleaner. Whats your guys thoughts on it coming up?

post-8122-0-75234900-1394518326_thumb.jp

post-8122-0-19774600-1394518335_thumb.jp

5 answers to this question

Tristan,

We posted the below comment on our EBC FaceBook Page a few weeks ago regarding asphalt cleaning. In it there is some suggested mix ratios that you should go by relating to oil and asphalt. I do not recommend a 50/50 mix with the attempt to clean up all the oil up with just 1 treatment. Instead I would recommend going with a weaker mix with multiple applications to remove the oil little by little on each application. 

Here is the FB post

EBC has components in its formula that offers or provides superb degreasing agents. Asphalt by nature is a petroleum base product. When you apply EBC or any type of degreaser to asphalt make certain that you will not impact the density or compromise the integrity of the asphalt itself. 

All asphalt is different from region to region. There are just way too many different variables from one asphalt lot to the next to pin point or establish a common mix ratio to for all contractors to use. In other words, one size does not fit all in this case.

Applying EBC to concrete or other hard surfaces is a different ball game and should not be misunderstood as the way to clean asphalt. 

Suggestions when cleaning oil/grease/fuel off of asphalt:

Test a small area with a light mix of EBC. Light mix ranges from 12-16 oz to 1.5 gal. of water. Spray a small portion of the affected area and then agitate with a broom. Let it dwell for 10-15 minutes and then rinse with 120-150. This mix ratio is a baseline recommendation. Certainly there will be instances where you as a contractor may have to "bump" up the mix to make it stronger, if applicable. When doing so please be aware and keep your eye on that asphalt. 

Cleaning grease/oil and etc off asphalt requires YOU the contractor to be VERY FAMILIAR with the soap/degreaser you are using. Just because it worked on concrete does not mean the same ratios will work on asphalt. Totally two different animals.

I wouldn't go with the SC on asphalt especially at any high pressure. Asphalt is pretty soft. Here is a demo I did using EBC, hot water and soft wash. I think these results are about the best you can ask for when removing a petroleum based product from a petroleum based product.

post-8375-0-10403900-1394555764_thumb.jppost-8375-0-44928500-1394555773_thumb.jp

Do not use your s/c! It will start to chew up the surface before you say "crud"! A really mild detergent, followed by a really good scrub. Bear in mind that the chemical will carry the oil across the road & stain that as it go's, so that will need to be factored into your price.

Good luck.

Looks like some good answers.

It is a fine line cleaning oil from a petroleum based stratum.

I would agree not to use high pressure to clean with. Apply a degreaser as the other posters have recommended and use a stiff brush.

Wash off with hot water and low pressure like a rinse tip or 40* fan tip to broom the wash.

Do not let it go down a storm drain.

Rod

Use the hottest water at the lowest pressure you can and "feather" the oil out of the asphalt. You will see it let go and come up as a brown film. Once it starts coming up work it from that spot. One other thing to do is to immedialely pull the waste water up off the asphalt or it will run down hill cool and run back intot he ashpalt.