Sign in to follow this  
Jason Reider

What is the lowest temperature will you stain

Question

I'm sure all of you in the northeast are already 2-3 weeks behind this season compared to last year due to the weather.  This is already causing a decent backup of jobs.  We are anxious to start some of our decks next week, but the temps are supposed to be in the low 40's and then there is the moisture issue (which we use a moisture meter to check).  I use AC most of the time, and it states to apply at 50+ degrees. 

What is the lowest temperature you will start staining?  

10 answers to this question

The issue with low temps ,moisture and getting a sealer to absorb and dry . Low temps slows the process down tremendously. If it's in direct sunlight all day helps a lot . Just pray for no rain for a week and for temps to rise?

I run a heater sometimes . I ran it last year late November to finish a mahogany porch . Worked very well but took away 25 bucks in fuel and about 3 hours in more time for the job . I stayed there longer running the heat to dry the sealer. You also can heat up the sealer which helps and I did for this job. it's a super high end area and was well worth it.

Did I say wood care blows! In reality wood is from May to October .

Hey Jason-- a little tip.... If your using an oil base stain make sure it's nowhere near freezing at night or you may have problems. Like Jim says, in our area you want to get to May for staining. The horrid call backs you can get because the stain didn't cure correctly do to freezing is not worth the headache.

Jim's points are exactly what anyone should be considering.

Wood at 50* or lower begins to tighten up as a response to the temperatures and won't absorb well.

Also, oils are like bacon grease, they begin to congeal at that temp and don't penetrate.

Combining these two factors makes it a difficult assessment for when to start.

Getting temps during the day is fine but remember overnight temps can literally squeeze out the sealer that hasn't dried/cured by then.

This leads to tacky finishes which will never set right and leads to a premature failing of the product.

Acrylics have a little better performance ability but again need to have consistent temps above their application range to ensure proper curing.

Some can be applied as low as 40* but keep in mind the substrate. If it is a hardwood. Forget it. Wait for warmer temps.

I acknowledge Jim's predicament over the years and that he has had it very difficult where temps AND rain have been concerned.  He and other in the northeast corridor have been hit with some unfortunate weather which has impacted their businesses and complicated their ability to do quality work without having to resort to alternate measures to get the job done.

Here's to hoping all have a decent weather year.

Rod

Hello Jason and other Armstrong Stain users,

If you have a deck staining job when the temp is lower than 50 degrees there are several things you can do.

1) Keep the stain at room temp (60 degrees or warmer)

2) The wood needs to be free of dew and water content no more than 20%

3) Apply the stain in the direct sunlight and the heat of the day. The 50 degrees is measured in the shade so the wood will be well above 60 degrees.

Following these helpful hints of the trade will give you an earlier start and later finish to your season.

Many thanks for using our stains,

Jake

1 209 541 6579 cell

Edited by Jake Clark

Thank you everyone!

Also, thank you Jake!  Your advice and professionalism is always top notch.  Plus, I landed a 3k deck restoration job because a customer was referred to us by you.  I really appreciate that.  The scary thing is, the customer almost changed their mind and wanted to put Restore on instead for a while.  Luckily I was able to educate them.

Have a great start to the year everyone.

Well I really pushed the envelope at the end of last year.

250 miles from home, 38 degrees. I had to finish the project.

Used Bakers and it was in the high 30's all day.

Not recommended, but I was in a pinch, with distance and time.

It worked fine. Wouldn't recommend it though.

Normally wouldn't do it that cold but that's how it worked out.

Took the stain better part of two days to cure a bit.

The fence still looks great, as it should.

I'd say I got lucky with temps that low.

Snotcicles, frozen metacarpals . Frozen eyelashes. lol.

Customer pleased beyond words.