Sign in to follow this  
Aqua Pro

Interesting job

Question

I need some advice. Why ask here? Because Proverbs says " Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Here is the low down.....A local homeowner is restoring an old house top to bottom. The house has a cistern in it that he wants drained, Power washed and sealed.

It's basically poured concrete with some sort of damp proofing on at least part of the walls. Some of it is exposed aggregate.

It's approximately 12' in (from entrance to back wall), 15' wide and 8-10' deep. The opening is a small 2 foot wide hole.

My three questions are how the heck do I get a ladder in there  B] What in the world should I charge  for something like this and What could I "seal" the walls with? I'm thinking some sort of epoxy, like they use when on pools when they don't want to re pour concrete.

Getting the ladder in there is an issue because a short ladder will clear the opening and "fall" before hitting the interior brick wall but not be long enough to hit the bottom and still provide a way out. A long ladder would reach from top to bottom but the brick wall inside and low ceiling prevents me from dropping it in.

I have a few ideas but as my opening scripture states in sop many words, "two (or three or four or....) heads are better than one!

post-877-0-56524700-1397323743_thumb.jpg

post-877-0-67630600-1397323750_thumb.jpg

post-877-0-51643200-1397323757_thumb.jpg

post-877-0-42122100-1397323767_thumb.jpg

post-877-0-38982700-1397323773_thumb.jpg

post-877-0-06416900-1397323781_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aqua Pro

4 answers to this question

I have one. .. the vulcan ladder... that's what you see in the p8c. It doesn't work. I am going to have to make something. I almost need a rope ladder or something similar. I really need to figure out the sealing aspect too

G'day AP

Do you have "confined space" regulations in you state/county? as these may dictate the type of access required - possibly a tripod to hang a rope and harness from.

The concrete can be sealed with a concrete densifier such as this http://www.con-treat.com.au/densi-crete.html, it's a "colloidal silicate" that penetrates the concrete and reacts with the minerals to form a gel that fills in the air gaps. This type of product is much easier to apply than topical coatings.

Always great to see the interesting jobs!

John