Sign in to follow this  
Ar cleaning

Anyone willing to help.

Question

To anyone willing, I need some advice. I was asked to bid on a fairly large deck. The customer wants to re stain it with the same solid color. If you can be of assistance please email me at arexteriorcleaning@yahoo.com and I will respond with pictures and measurements. I have restored some decks, but nothing of this size. Thanks to all who are willing.

Scott Strauss

Arkansas Exterior Cleaning

14 answers to this question

Hey Rod, it currently has a solid stain, and the customer wants to use the same stain again. So my question is: Do I just need to do a good wash and rinse (precarb or bleach?), let it dry, and then apply the stain? Or do a strip of the current stain and start fresh? I really appreciate any advice.

I will upload pics if needed, just can't figure it out from the phone.

Thanks

Scott Strauss

Decks are not my specialty, the ones I have taken on, I have stripped and started fresh. This is the first one i have been asked to do with a solid stain, and using the same stain again. I am just looking for some friendly professional advice, and if I don't have to strip the entire thing, it would be great. The deck includes a gazebo, hot tub enclosure, benches, storage box, and a good amount of lattice!! Thanks again.

Scott Strauss

I would first inquire as to what stain product was applied, when and make sure that the product is still available and there are no compatability issues.

Most products have a data sheet informing the user on how to perform maintenance.

I would follow that information first.

If nothing is available as to the nature of the product, do an alcohol test to see if it is acrylic or latex.

Latex will come off with alcohol. Use a handy wipe.

Most products can be cleaned with a percarbonate, Bleach and tsp or a phosphoric acid based detergent.

Rod

Thanks for the info Rod. After speaking with the customer and explaining the condition of the deck, it looks like I will be stripping, brightening, and applying a new stain. The lattice work should be the fun part. The customer understands, and has agreed pay up. Win/win for both of us. Thanks again.

Are they going with another solid color or are they going with something semi transparent?

If there are any cracks in the wood that contain solid stain, you will not be able to get it out and it will show through anything less

than a solid color stain.

Rod

The customer will be going with another solid stain for that very reason. With the lattice being as thin as it is, will there still be a good amount of residual stain after stripping? (I know it's all different, but from your experience)

Thanks

Scott

As long as there willing to pay then stripping can be done. I use to do solids and to prep a deck that had a solid stain on it I would give it a good cleaning and also do some sanding to level out some of the old stain and then just reapply the solid stain right over it. I did us primers as well when needed.

To strip an entire deck of this size will be labor intensive and if there willing to pay for that then go for it but it doesn't really seem necessary since your going to just re coat it with another solid.

If the lattice is that thin, it would actually be cheaper to just replace it.

Seriously.

Lattice runs about $35-$40 for a 4x8 sheet.

Stripping it would cost several times that. Plus, you face the potential that it will just come apart anyway.

More aggravation and the customers perception isn't as good if they think you should have thought of that in

the first place.

Once you replace it, staining it will look better and last longer and the customer will consider you more in touch with

your work.

Back to you~

Rod

Just my 2 cents... but why bother stripping it if your just going to add another solid to it? Do you strip the paint off your kitchen wall before repainting it? I don't. I clean it and recoat.i generally will clean a solid deck to remove as much failed stain as possible, sand out high spots (feather the edges where remaining product meets bare wood and recoat.

I suppose an argument can be made that there are portions of the deck that aren't compromised today that may fail down the road so it would ultimately be better to have a fresh canvas but I have "restored" many solid decks by cleaning and re coating with very little if any issues.

Either way good luck!