Sign in to follow this  
Mathew Saunders

Would appreciate some opinions

Question

Hey Guys I'm new to the community and would appreciate some advice so I don't over spend or get the wrong equipment!

I'm a 16 year old Sophomore in high school I do neighborhood lawnwork. I do my lawns for $25 and mulching for a dollar per dollar rate. When it comes to pressure washing I charge $175 for an average driveway and then $50 for a 30x20 back porch. The issue is that most of these jobs take a minimum of 5-6 hours or me swiping back and forth. The larger driveways in the community are starting to not like their neighbors front curb looking like a piece of white paper and then their curb looking like someone painted it black. I'm getting a lot of interest and want to quote these driveways at a fair price for them, and knock them out in a reasonable time for me. Currently I own a 2300psi 2gpm Troy Built Pressure washer. It does the job, it gets up the black mold and makes the driveway look great. The issue is that I have to get incredibly close with the 25 degree sprayer for the tougher spots. I can usually get a three inch line no issue, except the tougher spots.

So I'm looking to upgrade. I'm a high school student, I need a set up that won't break the bank, but will allow me to get as many jobs as I can from driveways, to fences, to brick patios. I want only want to spend where it is needed so $1000-$1300 would be my budget. I've seen the 4200psi 4gpm simpson, the monster hose, the 4.0 turbo nozzle, and the AR Sprayglide and then a garden hose quick connect kit. In two years I'll be leaving for college and won't be pressure washing anymore, so I plan to sell the washer. So I only need this to stay with me for two more summers, that's why I don't want to spend too much.

Also would I be able to build my own surface cleaner?

Let me know what you're thinking.

-Mathew Saunders

Here are some links:

45 answers to this question

Check auction sights such as eBay and equip-bid.com. Lots of good stuff on there. As far as building yur own surface cleaner I doubt it would be that easy or we would all do it.

Check auction sights such as eBay and equip-bid.com. Lots of good stuff on there. As far as building yur own surface cleaner I doubt it would be that easy or we would all do it.

that's very true. What should I look out for?

Also, you might try looking into local pressure washing distributors and see if they have rentals they could sell you.

Some pawn shops could be another source for used equipment.

Rod

$1300 could definitely get you a craigslist special( at least 4 gpm and 2500-3500 psi) and a hammerhead surface cleaner(northern tool), hoses and whatever else you would need. Cleaning a driveway with a wand is like mowing a lawn with a weed whacker.

Man....My buddy Ted already gave you all the advice you need on this topic over on lawnsite. In fact, he spoon fed you exactly what you needed to know. You didn't thank him or even acknowledge that he helped you out. Then you come on another forum and ask the same question a few days later....Kids!

Man....My buddy Ted already gave you all the advice you need on this topic over on lawnsite. In fact, he spoon fed you exactly what you needed to know. You didn't thank him or even acknowledge that he helped you out. Then you come on another forum and ask the same question a few days later....Kids!

Ryan, I did not see that Ted had responded. I gave him a phone call but he did not answer. I'm asking on this site along with others to get a wide variety of opinions to best suit my needs as this is a large purchase for me. I did not hear of this website until I saw it linked on Lawnsite. I would appreciate if you did not undermine me because of a mistake and point out that it is because I am a "kid". I am certain that you were once a "kid" who had some questions.

I apologize.

Here's the thing, kid...You are on sites created for professional contractors to discuss matters related to building and maintaining a profitable business, while providing a quality, professional service to customers. You are on here asking about which consumer quality machine to buy, to help you run a "summer job". Are you paying taxes? Do you have a DBA or a business license? Do you have insurance? Or are you just under charging and over working and taking business away from people who work hard to run legal businesses?

Long story short...don't get butthurt when you get snapped at by real business owner.

Sorry guys (and girls) I've been fixing hack jobs today. Including a composite deck that got ripped up by a neighborhood kid. I'm angry at hacks today.

Here's the thing, kid...You are on sites created for professional contractors to discuss matters related to building and maintaining a profitable business, while providing a quality, professional service to customers. You are on here asking about which consumer quality machine to buy, to help you run a "summer job". Are you paying taxes? Do you have a DBA or a business license? Do you have insurance? Or are you just under charging and over working and taking business away from people who work hard to run legal businesses?

Long story short...don't get butthurt when you get snapped at by real business owner.

Sorry guys (and girls) I've been fixing hack jobs today. Including a composite deck that got ripped up by a neighborhood kid. I'm angry at hacks today.

I don't see how I'm the one getting butthurt man. First and foremost, business is business. If I provide equal quality at a fair price what means that I shouldn't get the job? One job for a neighborhood kid is certainly not going to affect a business out there. Also, I don't do siding. In fact I recommend that my customers hire a professional so that I don't damage their property. 

I'm coming on this forum to ask for help and advice to make sure that I do the job CORRECTLY without damaging property. 

I do not pay taxes because I am not netting for than $10,000 per year. Although that gives me NO reason not to claim it, but I am not a registered business no I do not feel the need to. I don't have a business license either. I'll give it to you man, I certainly should have this. I should to be considered official. Would that change your opinion? No because I'm still just a "Kid". Are you saying that every highschool student out there that pulls weeds or mows lawns for hours on the weekends are in the same category as me? If you mowed lawns or babysat or cleaned pools or did whatever you did in highschool... Did you pay taxes on it? If you took out the garbage and did chores... that's still income, did you pay taxes? 

Shouldn't you see that I'm a high school student trying to make a few grand to pay off my car and save for college? I'm not making 10's of thousands a year. I could honestly care less how you feel about this, I respect the fact that you think you know what you are telling me, but with all do respect you're being a bit absurd. 

Cool, you own a business. Congrats. You live in New York. I hope I'm not taking business from you man! On account that the only driveway pressure washing jobs in the last two years have been done by me.... I'm thinking that I'm not taking any business away from anyone, and if I am... That's life. Also, you should be happy that the kid that destroyed that deck got you a job man! He didn't take any business from you!

Also if you will recall... let me see, Ted says "Kudos to you for having your own business at a young age". 

Beth n Rodd answered my question and I thank him for that. Your post says "You are on sites created for professional contractors to discuss matters related to building and maintaining a profitable business, while providing a quality, professional service to customers". Well seeing as though he is a site admin... Shouldn't he have told me to not post on this website...? Also, have a look at the rules... I don't see anything there about "kids" not being aloud to seek advice from PROFESSIONAL.

Edited by Mathew Saunders

Matthew,
Don't take it personally.

This is actually good advice considering the poster has been through much as have the rest of us.

You are here asking for advice and the one side is you may get some you didn't expect.

In trying to be helpful, certain questions lead to other questions which make us respond accordingly.

Being in business means thinking about things you woulnd't normally. Trust me in this....there are people out there who are good at trying to exploit new contractors.

They know you are hungry and haven't developed your client base or reputation.

The forums are here to help. Some may help in other ways. That's all.

Rod

Matthew,

Don't take it personally.

This is actually good advice considering the poster has been through much as have the rest of us.

You are here asking for advice and the one side is you may get some you didn't expect.

In trying to be helpful, certain questions lead to other questions which make us respond accordingly.

Being in business means thinking about things you woulnd't normally. Trust me in this....there are people out there who are good at trying to exploit new contractors.

They know you are hungry and haven't developed your client base or reputation.

The forums are here to help. Some may help in other ways. That's all.

Rod

Rod,

I appreciate that, I understand that Ryan may have been trying to help. What I didn't appreciate was the fact that just because I'm younger my mistake should be pointed out, or I should be treated differently. Everyone had the same questions as me at some point.

-Mathew

Have fun, sport.

Ryan,

I Apologize for my response to your posts. I was just a bit baffled that for being younger I'm treated as if I'm not aloud to do this. I respect that you were pointing out what I need to run the business, but I'm a high school student and I'm not making near enough to consider those aspects of the business. I'm coming on here to get advice on the right equipment for the job, I'm not getting into chemicals nor am I going to do anything I could seriously damage. Again I'm sorry If my post was disrespectful to you, but I really just wanted some advice so I'm not blindly purchasing equipment and irresponsibly cleaning property with it. 

Best regards

-Mathew

Hey guys,

So I've continued with research and I've found that the Sodium Hydro-chloride 12.5% is common, but I would want to go less... Maybe just house hold bleach which should be around 6%. Mix two gallons of that with 3 gallons of water and then a lot of people use the Fresh Wash (5oz) , to add the suds that keep the detergent on for longer, however I've seen a cheaper alternative would be to use cascade or any liquid soap that MUST be able to be mixed with bleach. So that came from speaking on the phone with a few members.

Now I do have some questions. Everyone says to steer clear of a direct drive because it won't last me as long, and if the water source isn't 4gpm then it won't be able to pull in 4gpm, it will be whatever the water source is providing. So the question is what am I willing to spend?

Well I see that a surface cleaner is a must, and a downstream injection kit is a must to protect my engine. I'm thinking an 18" hammerhead surface cleaner would do the trick just fine. Let's say $300, after that a downstream injection kit would be $25...ish. Now it comes to what Pressure washer I want to get. I've been told to pick GPM first and 4gpm at a minimum, and PSI second. I've got a few options that I think could be worth it. With that in mind, I know a CAT pump is much better, but what is the difference for my needs between a CAT pump and an AR pump other than longevity? I've also seen GP and HP pumps in there:

Below I have listed the washers I was looking at... I know there are a lot, but I'm trying to see what would be most worth spending my money on... and if you know any cheaper websites for these/ if these washers are crap.

Belt Driven Models: AR Pump

3500psi:

4000psi:

Belt Driven Models: CAT Pump

3500psi:

4000psi:

Belt Driven Models: HP/GP Pump

2500psi 5.5GPM, Now would I need an external water source?:

3500psi:

4000psi:

Direct Drive Models: AR Pump

3500psi:

4000psi:

Direct Drive Models: CAT Pump

3500psi:

4000psi:

Direct Drive Models: GP Pump

3500psi:

4000psi:

Many thanks

-Mathew

Units with Cat pumps on them will give you good service with little interuption due to the pump itself.

Main thing is maintenance. Change the oil and filters regularly and use fuel that does not exceed E10. Otherwise, use an additive to help with the destruction that fuel can cause.

Make sure the unit hasn't been subjected to fuels exceeding E10 without the additive. You may be buying a machine with a clock running out on it.

As for Ryans post, Understand one thing. We all have to contend with the results and the stigma associated with people getting into this business and becoming a hack.

It maybe could have been put better but I am not him and his experiences may be more than others have in their area.

Being that you are here and asking questions is the positive and the fact you took the time to research and post your findings here for others to look at shows you aren't lazy.

Great on you for that! :)

Rod

So would I be In the wrong to go with another pump? I couldn't find the HP pumps online but it seems that the general pumps are good too, being that they are very easy to repair... Is that a plus if you have to repair it more often? I save two/three hundred but stepping down the pump, but is that worth it?

Also, ted told me the more the GPM the faster the clean. So that 2500psi 5.5gpm would be fast, but if I used it with the 18" hammerhead would I have enough psi? Or are the surface cleaners based on GPM not PSI? OFCOURSE this is assuming that I use the detergent mentioned by other members.

Now 4000psi is probably too much... No need to get that unless it'll be cheaper, a 4gpm 3500psi seems to be a popular starter point. Especially because those listed up there are belt driven. The down side is that they stick on $150 for shipping...sigh... But it is what it is.

Last question for this post... Are those good pressure washers? worth me spending my money on? They've got good pumps and a honda engine and an aircraft aluminum frame..: what else is there?

Matt look into working with a local professional for a season , go to seminars / trade shows and take notes , See the Equipment in action , Your already in the right place asking the right questions , remember with a trade you can take it any where , before , during and after college . Save your money and get a 5.6 gal hot water unit , you will be banging out those drive ways . :-)

Let me put it another way.
What is your core focus going to be?

Flat work? 4000psi and 5gpm+

Wood restoration 3000 psi and 4gpm max (residential flows often restricted to 2-3 gpm)

Building washing...pressure or soft wash?

Other?  specify....

This may help us narrow down your choices.

Rod

Let me put it another way.

What is your core focus going to be?

Flat work? 4000psi and 5gpm+

Wood restoration 3000 psi and 4gpm max (residential flows often restricted to 2-3 gpm)

Building washing...pressure or soft wash?

Other?  specify....

This may help us narrow down your choices.

Rod

Flat work, concrete driveways in the neighborhood. The Main issue is the black mold/algae and then green algae. The occasional rust stains and oil stains. I also want to possibly get into siding as I have had 5 people ask me about it as our neighborhood committee is requiring home owners to remove it. As for decks not many people (less then 10) have decks in the neighborhood and I don't want to damage something that expensive. I plan to use the sodium hyrdochloride mixed with water in a 5 gallon bucket and then some fresh wash as my detergent. Do keep in mind I don't want to sink tons of money. Realistically I would max out at $1800 for the $300 surface cleaner and the Pressure washer. I also plan to use downstream injection to keep my motor healthy and long lasting. 

Matt look into working with a local professional for a season , go to seminars / trade shows and take notes , See the Equipment in action , Your already in the right place asking the right questions , remember with a trade you can take it any where , before , during and after college . Save your money and get a 5.6 gal hot water unit , you will be banging out those drive ways . :-)

Zapp,

I will keep an eye out, around here there aren't many major businesses to get a job at, I've looked. In return I've spoken to 5 or 6 people for hours about set ups and the do's and don'ts. I don't want to get into hot water because that's a big set up and too much for me to think about when I jump into this as  a summer job.

Thanks

Mathew

Matt I understand u don't want the expense of hot water. But mayb just mayb u could get lucky and find a cheap hot box. It's a portable burner u can hookup when and if u do need it. And be careful putting bleach thru yur downstreamer it can b hard on guns and hose seals. And plus when yur thru with the low pressure u have high pressure bleach flying everywhere. Just my two cents

Hot water is the way to go.

Water as a natural solvent works even better as such when heated.

It makes cleaning more efficient and faster. Chemicals work better with less and you make money faster because you

produce better results in shorter time.

4000psi, 5+ GPM belt driven pump but heated!

Trust me. Cleaning houses is even quicker with hot water vs cold.

I bit the bullet back in 2002 and never looked back. Still have the same machine and it has paid for itself many times over.

Rod

And get a x jet if your going to be doing houses , it comes with a mix recipe , you will save lots of time washing houses .