Sign in to follow this  
Mathew Saunders

Would appreciate some opinions

Question

Hey Guys I'm new to the community and would appreciate some advice so I don't over spend or get the wrong equipment!

I'm a 16 year old Sophomore in high school I do neighborhood lawnwork. I do my lawns for $25 and mulching for a dollar per dollar rate. When it comes to pressure washing I charge $175 for an average driveway and then $50 for a 30x20 back porch. The issue is that most of these jobs take a minimum of 5-6 hours or me swiping back and forth. The larger driveways in the community are starting to not like their neighbors front curb looking like a piece of white paper and then their curb looking like someone painted it black. I'm getting a lot of interest and want to quote these driveways at a fair price for them, and knock them out in a reasonable time for me. Currently I own a 2300psi 2gpm Troy Built Pressure washer. It does the job, it gets up the black mold and makes the driveway look great. The issue is that I have to get incredibly close with the 25 degree sprayer for the tougher spots. I can usually get a three inch line no issue, except the tougher spots.

So I'm looking to upgrade. I'm a high school student, I need a set up that won't break the bank, but will allow me to get as many jobs as I can from driveways, to fences, to brick patios. I want only want to spend where it is needed so $1000-$1300 would be my budget. I've seen the 4200psi 4gpm simpson, the monster hose, the 4.0 turbo nozzle, and the AR Sprayglide and then a garden hose quick connect kit. In two years I'll be leaving for college and won't be pressure washing anymore, so I plan to sell the washer. So I only need this to stay with me for two more summers, that's why I don't want to spend too much.

Also would I be able to build my own surface cleaner?

Let me know what you're thinking.

-Mathew Saunders

Here are some links:

45 answers to this question

I would really like to go with hot water, I know it's so much better, but I'm tackling paying off my car at the same time as purchasing new gear... and really I don't know what kind of profit I've got coming it... $300 for that surface cleaner and it looks like $1420 for this pressure washer would be a good route for me getting started. What I can do is down the road if I make a lot this year and business is booming, I can upgrade to the hot water combo and have both set ups for multiple jobs.

So this washer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EB4040HG-4000-PSI-Pressure-Washer-Powered-By-Honda-Belt-Drive-General-Pump-/280991445729?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416c6532e1

This Surface Cleaner:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Style-General-Pump-18-Concrete-or-Flat-Surface-Cleaner-for-Pressure-Washer-/321100395324

Then this for the house: I'd go X jet but the washer comes with a downstream injector kit, but the x jet keeps the chemicals from the hose and nozzle.

http://www.powerwash.com/m5ds-long-range-downstream-soap-injecting-nozzle.html

Both nice equipment Matthew. I'd b happy with either one except I prefer my surface cleaner with wheels. But to each his own. How far from home ru goin to college?

Both nice equipment Matthew. I'd b happy with either one except I prefer my surface cleaner with wheels. But to each his own. How far from home ru goin to college?

I start my Junior year next year so I have two summers, maybe one if I go to the Air Force Academy. 

Here are some photos of some jobs I might do. The first two photos are of siding, I this is a typical house in my neighborhood and I don't know how to go about charging. The up side is that the neighborhood committee is now fining anyone who has mold growing on their home, which means business for me.

As for the driveway, I was thinking $300 would be fair? I know it's hard to tell in the pictures on the size but you guys have an eye for this. Granted once I do one driveway I'll know a better range for the future.

post-8441-0-00730000-1400297604_thumb.jp

post-8441-0-98750600-1400297609_thumb.jp

post-8441-0-78064200-1400297620_thumb.jp

post-8441-0-77823900-1400297631_thumb.jp

post-8441-0-48550500-1400297641_thumb.jp

post-8441-0-89670700-1400297651_thumb.jp

post-8441-0-62817200-1400297660_thumb.jp

post-8441-0-73238500-1400297671_thumb.jp

post-8441-0-10996700-1400297680_thumb.jp

post-8441-0-06756200-1400297687_thumb.jp

post-8441-0-52683900-1400297869_thumb.jp

post-8441-0-34364800-1400297878_thumb.jp

post-8441-0-44769600-1400297885_thumb.jp

post-8441-0-02097000-1400297897_thumb.jp

post-8441-0-89647300-1400297905_thumb.jp

post-8441-0-58504100-1400297916_thumb.jp

post-8441-0-35774000-1400297925_thumb.jp

Edited by Mathew Saunders

Best thing to do is figure out your operating cost and all that good stuff. Then add some cushion and some profit. For the company I work for we wouldn't touch a house or driveway for less than 400 each but our cost is a lot more than yours

Best thing to do is figure out your operating cost and all that good stuff. Then add some cushion and some profit. For the company I work for we wouldn't touch a house or driveway for less than 400 each but our cost is a lot more than yours

Alright, I'll look into that. I'm placing the order today if anyone has any last second suggestions, but as for siding. Because I don't have insurance is it something I shouldn't do? I was going to see if there was any training locally that I would be able to receive to do it correctly. Any suggestions?

Also, ted told me the more the GPM the faster the clean. So that 2500psi 5.5gpm would be fast, but if I used it with the 18" hammerhead would I have enough psi? Or are the surface cleaners based on GPM not PSI? OFCOURSE this is assuming that I use the detergent mentioned by other members.

2500 psi is perfect for residential concrete. That machine would do anything you need it to. 

Also, ted told me the more the GPM the faster the clean. So that 2500psi 5.5gpm would be fast, but if I used it with the 18" hammerhead would I have enough psi? Or are the surface cleaners based on GPM not PSI? OFCOURSE this is assuming that I use the detergent mentioned by other members.

2500 psi is perfect for residential concrete. That machine would do anything you need it to do

We veered from using that because I don't want to get into buffer tanks. I don't want to be stuck in a low psi situation.

We veered from using that because I don't want to get into buffer tanks. I don't want to be stuck in a low psi situation.

Yes you need a buffer tank, 2500 psi is enough power to do any residential cleaning. The only thing I ever use pressure on is concrete, and anything over 2500 starts to remove the cream coat. All other applications are 1000 psi (rinsing nozzle) or less. Most of the time I use my soaping nozzle to rinse which is a couple of hundred psi.

Also working without insurance is not a good idea, when It seems you are hell bent on using high pressure. 

Matt-I wouldn't suggest doing work on other people's property with no insurance for all the obvious reasons. If something goes wrong you'll be personally held liable and its against the law to operate a business with no insurance which if a homeowner reports you to the consumer affairs division in your town you could be facing a large Fine. Not worth the risk.

Matt-I wouldn't suggest doing work on other people's property with no insurance for all the obvious reasons. If something goes wrong you'll be personally held liable and its against the law to operate a business with no insurance which if a homeowner reports you to the consumer affairs division in your town you could be facing a large Fine. Not worth the risk.

Thanks John it is a very good point,

With all I've been told and seeing the damage that could be possible, I don't want to risk it. I am already looking into an insurance plan and registering the business and creating a website to show my jobs done. Here in TN much like in other states, unless I have the homeowner sign an agreement releasing me of any liability of damages, which would be a poor method, I am held 100% liable.

Yes you need a buffer tank, 2500 psi is enough power to do any residential cleaning. The only thing I ever use pressure on is concrete, and anything over 2500 starts to remove the cream coat. All other applications are 1000 psi (rinsing nozzle) or less. Most of the time I use my soaping nozzle to rinse which is a couple of hundred psi.

Also working without insurance is not a good idea, when It seems you are hell bent on using high pressure. 

Ralph, I figured 2500psi would be plenty because when I use my 2300psi it got everything up and it was a poor pressure washer. I will look into the world of buffer tanks and see the price range for that, otherwise I'll see if I could maybe find a lesser PSI 4gpm set up because I don't want to etch the concrete as warned by many members. Also, I'm not set on high pressure, I'm just having difficulty finding a good combo for my price range. I will continue to look around though.

Matt the best advised I can give you is if you have a Home Depot in your area they alwayls have professional powerwashers they sell at the fraction of cost you can also purchase a surface cleaner from them.

Beth I was actually referring to HD rental division. They carry Landa commercial power washers that usually retail for $2200 you can pick one for about $700 very reliable machines I used two of them for five years until I upgraded to a Hydrotek unit. Considering that Matt is on limited budget I thought it would be a viable option for him. I definitely agree that Hydrotek units are great machines I love mine

First starting out, we used the top end units HD would sell which worked fine. Helped to bring in the revenue to upgrade to better units.

Went through 4 of them (one was a mistake, mid-grade unit....broke down the very same day).

Once we got our first Hydrotek unit, the results improved and so did our backs.

Rod