turbonyg

Rain on fresh stain?

Question

What kind of mess am I in for tomorrow?

Finished the second coat of A/C stain on a customer deck late this evening then about an hour or so later it rained enough to wet about my home deck about 80% then stopped. Now about an hour/half after that, its starting to sprinkle again.

Thanks for any input on what to expect and how to fix it.

Edited by turbonyg

17 answers to this question

Thanks Beth. That's the answer I was hoping for.

How long after can I wait to recoat? Everything is wet this morning, with possible chances of rain today and tomorrow,

Edited by turbonyg

Just wait until the moisture is under 20%.

I am facing the same thing. I finished a deck yesterday and it wasn't supposed to rain until tomorrow...well its been pouring for the last 4 hours. Yay. I will be checking on it Thursday. Hopefully it had enough dry time. Spring is very bittersweet.

Sounds like you need to invest more in some good old common sense. Why would you contemplate sealing anything at all, if the weather is, at best dubious?

Learn from this & go forward. Give it 5 years, & you'll read the same thing from someone else & you'll say to yourself; "God, what a moron"....then you will smile. As I have done. 

What do we do, wait till summer and not work all spring? Weather was only 30% chance which relates to its not going to rain, at least always has until this time.

Now now - the weather is a ***** to get around.  I typically wait for the perfect weather to stain - why risk the final product and an unhappy customer.  However, as much as we try our best the weatherfolk can be wrong and mother nature throws a curve ball.  I had rain come 4 hours after applying AC and we ran back and tarped the deck because it poured for some time - darn that Great Lakes weather!  The stain s holding with no ill effects to the final product so far :)

Tracy,

The only contact that I have had with you now is 2 pms from you and now this reply all vaguely pitching your product.

You have now excluded yourself from ever receiving an order of any kind from me. I also would like no further pms or replys from you in my topics since all they are, are sales posts.

Tracy,

The only contact that I have had with you now is 2 pms from you and now this reply all vaguely pitching your product.

You have now excluded yourself from ever receiving an order of any kind from me. I also would like no further pms or replys from you in my topics since all they are, are sales posts.

Tracy Handl knows what he's talking about. I seen Tracy at quite a few PWNA Conventions and other Industry events. He's taught wood restoration classes along with demonstrating equipment. If you met Tracy you would like him as everyone that I know does.

He's probably selling Ready Seal stain which some contractors swear by. You can't buy that Stain in any big box type store since it's for contractors only and it's contractor grade.

Do a search here on TGS about Ready Seal and you'll probably find mostly good stories about it.

That's all fine and well, but my only experience with him here are basically "should have bought my stuff" and the handful of posts I looked at from him were basically "buy my stuff". I only searched his user name and looked at his profile topics before making this post to see if I could quickly find helpful informational post before making that comment, but a quick search didn't not find anything other than sales type comments.

Yes, he is pushing ready seal and doing so in a typical salesperson fashion. You are correct that he may present himself in a totally different fashion in person, but if you are going to try and sell your products through this medium, this is not the way to go about it.

As for not finding it in box stores, while that is true, I have yet to find A/C and Bakers in a store (even paint stores) either as I have looked to avoid having to order it in.

AC & Bakers are also very good stains. Many of us have Met the creator of A/C who is of course the one and only Jake Clark. Aces I'm everyone's books. I believe Shane here uses Bakers and he's a master at it. You should see his work. Off tue charts beautiful.

We even had the pleasure quite a few time to meet Pierce Fitchet(can't spell his last name my apologies) who created Ready Seal.

As for Tracy.. He is a passionate dude who stained decks himself and he wanted you to know how well Ready Seal works. He loves the stuff as do many others.

But as I say to people in this Industry "if your mind is made up...it's made up" and we go from there.

Weather was only 30% chance which relates to its not going to rain, at least always has until this time.

That's why I started looking at the radar, not the forecast. I still get burned once in a while, but no often.