Sign in to follow this  
harrellsm

Removing pulley from AR pump

Hi All,

I just bought my first belt drive cold water gas washer.  I bought it used and it has plenty of miles on it but the Honda GX390 motor started right up and the price was right so I took a chance.  My question is this, the pump, AR XRCA 4G40H, needs to be serviced and I want to do it off the machine.  The unit has 3 belts and I have removed those but I have to get the pulley off the shaft and I am not sure what puller to use.  There isn't a center bolt, it has a keyway in the center.  The pulley has 3 small bolts in a triangle around the center so I am thinking those are for the puller.  So, do I attach the puller and start turning the bolt?  Or do I have to figure out what to do about the keyway?

Many thanks,

Sean

PS. The washer doesn't have any manufacturers markings that I can see.  It's got a lot of concrete splatter on it.  A lot!:))

post-8457-0-45645700-1401572900_thumb.jp

Hi Chris,
There isn't any set screw that I can see.  Let me try to attach a picture of it.  There is a keyway with a groove on the other side but thats all I can see.

Thanks,
Sean 

Hmm. The set screw could b underneath the pulley. Or it might not have one. I have very little experience with belt driven machines but I think that most pulleys have set screws on them. Or it could just b pressed on there which will b pretty tough to get off. If there's no screw when u do get a puller hooked up u could take a propane torch and heat up the pulley itself which will expand it a tiny bit. U could b in for a fight. The puller u want will have three bars and a point in the middle. The bars have hook like thing on it which will go behind the pulley and the center thing goes on the shaft and u just tighten the puller and it should pop off. Sorry for the long post

See the holes next to the ones the bolts came out of? Put the bolts in those and tighten them evenly against the "sheave" part of the pulley, and it'll push it off the bushing. The bushing may have a setscrew in the flange near the belt guard. Loosen it, and pull the bushing off the shaft. Why do you feel the need to remove the pump to service the wet end? You should be able to do it with the pump in place.

You should be able to tap around the inner section of the pulley, towards the pump as its a tapered bush. Once the pulley is off the bush, it will loosen itself on the keyway enabling you do what you want to do.

Good luck.

OK guys,  When I get home from work this afternoon I will try using the bolts in the larger holes.  Also, one of my friends at work has loaned me a gear/wheel puller, in case that doesn't work.

Thanks!

Sean