Stevec48ul

Want to Start a Professional Operation!

Question

I am new to this and would like to get started in the field, buy decent gear, and learn how to do this on a professional level. I have a limited budget, but if need be I can funnel a lot of my initial earnings back into my business as I am not dependent on it. My thoughts were to by a Simpson 4200 PSI 4 gpm maching that has a Honda Engine. It appears a lot of professionals use the X jet products and I was considering the X jet M5. I notice the same company sells a product called "Gutter Zap and an applicator. It appears that most use a !2% Chlorine mix either alone ore with some other soaps. I would like to also buy window washing tools and offer that service as there a lot of 55 & over communities. This is a resort area and there would also be an abundance of RV's and Boats that need pressure washing also. Was wondering if anyone on here does either of those and could guide me as to special chemicals and pricing. Thanks in advance for all the help! 

9 answers to this question

Welcome to TGS. Please add your signature, house rules.

There is no single response that can fully prepare you and tell you everything you need to know. If you could narrow down your questions, and be specific, you could get them answered. Also there is a lot to be found here with searching.

Do you know what kind of service you want to offer specifically?

Do you know if your market supports it?

Do you have the funds you  need to support yourself while you are learning and growing?

Do you know what tools and equipment you need?

Do you have a work truck?

Do you have a business plan?

Do you have a marketing plan?

Do you know how to estimate?

Do you have an office set up?

Beth

Steve, I also echo Beth's response and will add that equipment is the smallest part of starting a "Professional Business" in exterior cleaning.

Efficiency Is.

From generating customers (work) to working on equipment.....You'll wear many hats.

For most of us the season is half over, I would spend this time researching how to build a Successful business....equipment should be last on your list.

Dear Steve & Friends

I'm interested in pressure washing, too, but am lurking to educate myself before making costly mistakes.

I'm probably doing the right thing by just lurking. To all of Beth's questions, my answer to all but one is "No" and to the third question, a "Maybe."

I just like squirting water.

But I can't even do that without hurting myself. I put the wand under my arm with the trigger tied open so I could pull up my shorts. I dropped the wand and caused a little booboo on the inside of my upper left arm. This booboo got worse, so I went to the doctor today and got a tetanus shot and some antibiotics.

So I'm just lurking, where it's safe.

pressure_washer_sore_3070.jpg

--Jaddie

Wannabe Power Washer in Buford, Georgia

Edited by Jaddie

Dear Steve & Friends

I'm interested in pressure washing, too, but am lurking to educate myself before making costly mistakes.

I'm probably doing the right thing by just lurking. To all of Beth's questions, my answer to all but one is "No" and to the third question, a "Maybe."

I just like squirting water.

But I can't even do that without hurting myself. I put the wand under my arm with the trigger tied open so I could pull up my shorts. I dropped the wand and caused a little booboo on the inside of my upper left arm. This booboo got worse, so I went to the doctor today and got a tetanus shot and some antibiotics.

So I'm just lurking, where it's safe.

pressure_washer_sore_3070.jpg

--Jaddie

Wannabe Power Washer in Buford, Georgia

Ouch!! That looks painful. Please be careful man, and stay far, far away from the high pressure colored tips and turbo nozzles.

Steve there is a lot of great advise you received from pros that have been successful operating and managing in power washing industry so my advise to you would be to reach out to people that have successful in this industry and are willing to share with you some of the basics to help you get started.

I am new to this and would like to get started in the field, buy decent gear, and learn how to do this on a professional level. ... [/size]

Steve,

Your timing could not be better. The PWRA is holding a national convention in your state next month, just outside of Washington, D.C.

Well worth the effort and expense. Go to: http://thehugeconvention.com/