Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Cell phone text harrasment getting legal attention nationwide

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/03/stalkers-turn-to-cell-pho_n_171555.html

Many of us have gotten UNWANTED and UNSOLICITED text that never end, text after text of hateful, unprofessional conduct and vile, viciously aimed content. This phone STALKING is being taken seriously.

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/telephone-harassment-statutes

People violating these laws may receive fines, prison sentences or both.

If someone harasses you, make sure to KEEP the messages.

Your smart phone has setting to automatically delete messages after a certain number are reached. Turn the setting OFF.

For your specific case, consult a lawyer.

Of course you can also just block the caller.....

Beth

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/03/stalkers-turn-to-cell-pho_n_171555.html

Many of us have gotten UNWANTED and UNSOLICITED text that never end, text after text of hateful, unprofessional conduct and vile, viciously aimed content. This phone STALKING is being taken seriously.

Your smart phone has setting to automatically delete messages after a certain number are reached. Turn the setting OFF.

Beth

Thanks for posting this Beth. While many industry members are aware of claims of a certain industry "leader" sending barrages of harrassing texts to people -- myself included -- until you're on the receiving end you don't understand the depth of the harassment. I let me my kids use my phone to watch YouTube (since our internet is limited but my phone is not). One day my son tried to watch a 5 minute video, but got interrupted SIXTEEN times by a batch of incoherent harassing texts accusing me of a bunch of lies --- all within 5 minutes. And I know from the DOZENS of people who've reached out to me, I'm not the only one who deals with this type of harassment. It's truly unprofessional, unethical, and now it sounds like it's also illegal. It truly saddens me that an elected industry leader who is supposed to be held to a written code of ethics is allowed to behave this way with zero consequences. 

I have so many damaging texts from the same self appointed "Industry Leader" who has gone out of his way to damage anything I get involved in. I'm done offering him anymore Olive branches in the future especially after he posted that my wife is a liar(who happens to be a sweetheart)

Time for people to just shut him out and let him keep his bad behavior with his flunkies. As Beth stated if he keeps performing aggravated harassment(thru phones) get legal council.

Beth don't you ever sleep late?? your post says 5:59am..

The only reason I'm posting now is because we just finished a parking garage upstate NY & now I'm off to sleep in some rat trap hotel. Good nite or morning :)

Is he fat?  Am I warm?

Is he really obnoxious? 

Has he used more nom de plumes than anyone else, and still gotten banned? 

Does he live in a desert state? Am I getting at all hot?

Has he been banned from more boards than anyone else? 

And more times than any one else?  Am I getting closer?

Has he ruined more PW orgs than anyone else? 

Tell me, the suspense is killing me.

Thanks for posting this Beth. While many industry members are aware of claims of a certain industry "leader" sending barrages of harrassing texts to people -- myself included -- until you're on the receiving end you don't understand the depth of the harassment. I let me my kids use my phone to watch YouTube (since our internet is limited but my phone is not). One day my son tried to watch a 5 minute video, but got interrupted SIXTEEN times by a batch of incoherent harassing texts accusing me of a bunch of lies --- all within 5 minutes. And I know from the DOZENS of people who've reached out to me, I'm not the only one who deals with this type of harassment. It's truly unprofessional, unethical, and now it sounds like it's also illegal. It truly saddens me that an elected industry leader who is supposed to be held to a written code of ethics is allowed to behave this way with zero consequences. 

Your children should not have to be interrupted by or have to read that vile tripe.

Bullying is not tolerated in schools, and there are laws for harassment and stalking etc., so it is good to see that there is now something with TEETH to protect us.

Beth

On 6/22/2014 at 9:49 AM, Beth n Rod said:

Beth

Such great information... thanks for sharing