NorthEastPW

Question About Oiling a New Cedar Deck?

Question

Hello everyone, just had a quick question about oiling a new cedar deck for a customer of ours. i am not a wood expert but do have some years of experience with wood and wanted to get others opinions about this. the deck is currently being built and the builder told them to get some Thompson water seal on it right away! when i met with her i told her to say far away from that junk. i believe this is a premium grade western red cedar with no knots, it is not even a very big deck but i want to make sure i give her the right service for the job. i have read here on tgs that you should let cedar weather for a few months before putting anything on the wood to let it naturally weather and adapt to is environment and let the tannins work themselves to the surface, or is it ok to apply oil a week after it is installed?  any thoughts would be appreciated, thank you

6 answers to this question

I take care of lots of new cedar . New number one western red cedar is one of the most difficult deck surfaces to care for . No penetration of anything and continuous product failures by doing it too soon.

Remember, an educated customer is a happy customer, so I'd bring them in on the conversation.  Explain the 2 schools of thought on sealing new wood.  Lay out the pros and cons, and what their expectations and expenses should be either way, then let them make an educated decision.   (You took the time to learn about it, you deserve to show off!)

If they/you decide to seal now, Thompson's isn't my flavor, but it's a fine product for this situation.  Remove the mill glaze just like any other waxy sealer.  I like to use clear sealers for fresh wood, partly because if (or when) it fails in a few months it won't be so noticeable, and partly so the customer can enjoy that look of new wood for a while.  Nothing you put on is likely to last more than a year.  Come back next summer after it's aged and dried and seal it up right.  If that's done well they'll get at least 2 years out of it.

I would seal it now and re seal the deck next year as the stain won't soak in a whole lot. I see the same thing with rough sawn cedar pickets, When new cedar is sealed  the stain tends to hold up only 2 yrs  not 3 like if the wood gets to age.

I'm glad I don't see cedar decks here much it sounds to be a PITA  almost as bad as PT pine decking!