Sign in to follow this  
Ryan556

For those who do staining in Virginia

Question

I was told by a lead generating company today that they can not add me as a contractor for deck/wood exterior/etc cleaning and staining because I do not have a Virginia home improvement contractor (HIC) registration.

Anyone here have that or know what class of registration I would need? Any help would be much appreciated.

11 answers to this question

I have to pay a grand and take a test to be able to stain in Virginia? This is required by law huh? It says any contracted work, regardless of specialty...so does that mean you need to do it to wash too?

Thanks for the link, Rod.

Edited by Ryan556

Yes.

Any type of home improvement work that falls under their classification as such.

If you are only doing this from out of state, you will need to acquire a resident agent as well.

It looks from your bio that you are in New York. Why travel that far for a deck?

Rod

Yes, I am now out of Roanoke. We sold half of our business and I moved back home to the old dominion. I couldn't take NY state any more. 4 years was too much. I will update my info on here when I get to the office.

Thanks for the info. I will start the process today.

Ryan, if it is your state of permanent residence you won't need an resident agent since your office is there. The purpose of the resident agent is to basically be a mailing address. My guess is you will either need the B or C class license.

Beth

Wow they stick ya'll for all these $$ fees just to stain a deck?

I can only see it good to weed out the hacks?

Im saving so much money now that we escaped the people's communist Republic of NY, that I don't mind paying for a license. Just another selling point for me anyway.

I'm sure it also helps weed out SOME hacks as well.

Va is actually very fair about the issue. On contracting work when they pull a permit for a job they put your contractors licence number in the system and if it pops as inactive,completely fraudulent, or registered to someone else they make the contractor obtain a valid licence before they will sign off on the work.