Sign in to follow this  
mick m

Equipment Upgrade

Hi people. I'm looking to increase my pump size up 8 gal pm & to take advantage of the extra flow, I'm looking at the Maxima 36 inch cleaner to get the best "bang' for my buck. All of my work is surface cleaning at shopping centres + the odd bit of residential thrown in.

I cant seem to find out a great deal about the cleaner ; Is it a single, double or 3  nozzle spray bar?

Some of these places are seriously  & depressingly long to look at. As in 600 metres long or 1900 odd feet x up to 5 meters wide, so I'm looking at carving off some serious time with the bigger pump & cleaner.

Thoughts any one?

Cheers Mick.

Mick, we have a Maxima and run 8 gpm units, we also run the "Big Guy" surface cleaners. For what it worth, I'd choose the Big Guy (28") over the Maxima (36") every time. If you were pushing say 10 gpm then the Maxima would be the choice.

We have the 4 nozzle set up on both the Maxima & Big Guys. It's 1 bar with 2 nozzles on either side....works great, no striping.

Rodger that! I've got an 18 hp Briggs & Stratton. According to the specs, it only needs 14 hp. But its always good to be over powered.

Rodger that! I've got an 18 hp Briggs & Stratton. According to the specs, it only needs 14 hp. But its always good to be over powered.

Maybe for GPM but not for PSI......You would need to move up to at least 24-25 hp.

Hey Tricky Micky-- just throw In your numbers to this formula [(gpm X psi) /1450] X 1.5 = hp to see what you need.

Thanks John. According to that formula, its saying I need 24 hp, but the pump spec says 14. It will give me 2900 psi @ 8 gals. I'm assuming you meant divided by, by / ? 

Back again. Pump fitted Purring like an over fed kitten.. 3,000 @ 8 gals pm. Did a flow test, straight out of the hose, & it filled 2 x 20 litre buckets in 1 minute 10.seconds. Which works out to about 37 lts per minute. Soooo, is Interpump working on us gals, or UK imperial gals?

Someone posted a nozzle vs flow chart on here a while a go.....do you think I can find it? NO! SOooooo, can anyone advise me on the optimum nozzle size for 8 gals @ 3000 psi?

Cheers Mick.

Just as an after thought..... While I was doing my research on pumps for the up grade, one of my supplier's was kinda half trying to talk me out of going to 8 gpm. Why did I want the extra flow etc....yahda yahda yahda. Then informs me that I need to attend & pass an "Extreme Pressure Pump" safety course. For OHS reasons!

"really"? Get stuffed. Do you have this sort local govt interference in the US? If it was truly extreme pressure, as in 7 + thousand psi, then fair enough, but 3000 @ 8 gals.....

Mick,

Short answer is depends on length of hose.

At 8gpm you loose 300 psi for every 100 ft of hose using 3/8 hose. Only 80 psi when using 1/2 inch hose. When I have long hose runs (200 ft or more) I run 1/2 inch until last 50 ft then 3/8. I find 1/2 inch to heavy and stiff to use on a wand or surface cleaner.

For more info on friction loss, nozzle chart, and other good stuff look here: www. gemeralpump.com, click product literature, scroll down to resource information, click on  "nozzle chart English"