Sign in to follow this  
Sud n Clean

Green On Brown Stained Cypress - New Construction Problem

Question

Hey Guys and Gals,

I have a painter friend who has run into this problem, and has asked me to search it out. I don't have a good answer, but figured some of you might. Here's the deal:

This is new construction, using cypress. The gable had been constructed for 6 - 8 months prior to staining. By that time, it was turning black. My painter friend used oxalic acid to remove the black, and brighten the cypress. He let it dry for several days, then applied a Sherwin Williams Woodscapes acrylic semi-transparent stain. it was several days later that the green appeared in the wood.

Question: what to do to remove the green?

I'm thinking, use a stain remover (arrgghh... Woodscapes acrylic is a bear to remove!!), brighten it, and start over.

Any other thoughts? Including a stain remover for acrylic?!

post-6643-0-82963100-1408549354_thumb.jp

11 answers to this question

I was waiting for this thread to be put here on TGS. The first 3 people that came to mind that would have an answer for this guy was Shane,Beth or Diamond Jim Foley right here on TGS.

I would do exactly what Shane suggested above to see what Sherwain Willams warranty covers and then go from there.

HD-80 + 633ADD will take it off.

You can get the HD-80 from The Sealer Store

and the 633-ADD from ACR Products

Mix HD-80 at 6-8oz/gal + 4-6oz/gal of 633ADD

Apply and allow to dwell. Keep it wet and re-apply as needed to keep the product working.

Rod

Have to disagree from the pics.  Appears to be a foul water based stain applied to very dirty and not well prepared wood.  Can be restored, but a lot of work and expensive chems.  Someone messed up.

Beth,

Yes, I should have been clear.  Those stairs, and I'm assuming the attached deck, are horrible.  Someone slopped what looks like a water based, probably acrylic, over extremely dirty wood.  Shiny nightmare. 

Brad,

Oxalic acid does not clean wood, only neutralizes and brightens wood previously cleaned with a caustic, ie: sodium percarbonate wood cleaners and sodium hydroxide wood strippers.  That green is a puzzle.

Beth,

If that wood is properly washed, I'm a Klingon!  Well, my wife may agree...

That wood is filthy.  And from the 2 photos, it is a veritable mess.