steven

u.s forestry coatings ??

Question

thisis for wood restoration , can someone please help with some info. I can not remember where it was or who said it ( trust me I been looking for an hour ) but someone mentioned reading everything from the us. forestry service about coatings I THINK that's what it was. can someone help me out and tell me exactly what it is I should be reading.

42 answers to this question

15.29 megabytes of information hell ya.  the forest labs contradict some stuff people say on these boards. Like mill glaze, they say they tried to duplicate it but never have been able to. also they say to stain your deck after the wood is under 20% they say you don't have to wait. hmmmm. there is a ton of info on there thanks Beth

Ok how do I paste something on here, if this sounds like a foolish question I just cant figure it out on this new setup.

Edited by steven

yea I tried going through Everett's past posts but I could not find anything. I think it was a post by Rick P that actually caught my attention

Edited by steven

The Joint Coatings Committee is basically an informal type committee right now that works strictly on a volunteer and only when needed basis with the Forest Products Laboratory. Many of the standards that were put in place were done when Sam Williams was in charge and has since retired. He is an amazing man who knows more about wood and coatings than anyone I have ever met. As Beth alluded to there have been a lot of changes over the years and some of these need updating as well as some new ones created. The reason the committee was disbanded was due to cutbacks in the government, The Forest Products Laboratory is part of the Department of Agriculture and their budgets were cut like everyone else's during the recession. There are some projects being worked on but they are slow in coming. Many of the large manufacturers have replicated test farms at their facilities and continue to perform R & D on products but that is truly where a lot of todays research is coming from, individual manufacturer's. If you have specific question please feel free to PM me as well.

Man there is two tons of stuff to learn about wood, coatings , restoration, etc. I do like reading about this stuff, though I do have a touch of a.d.a.this keeps me interested. I downloaded the book on my phone.

lets put the book to the test, I am going to strip a small area of solid based stain. I already tried to take it off with my medium brewed ( 5 ounces to a gallon ) hydroxide stripper. It took of all the semi transparent stain easily and quick but just cleaned the solid stain.  so I am going to try and find a solvent based stripper { methylene chloride } That works fast to get off the solid color stain. would you guys just try boosting the hydroxide first?

If my medium brewed ( 5 ounce to the gallon ) hydroxide stripper is not touching the solid colored stain. should I try a solvent based stripper or should I just boost up the hydroxide to 7 ounces a gallon ( that does seem like a lot )?

Steven,

What is the base of your stain? Is it an oil? Is it acrylic? What is it?

If it is acrylic it will laught at that mix at that concentration without an added booster.

If it is oil it would need to be a fairly weak oil ( less drying oils in the formula) to be removed with that concentration, and it's age and exposure factor into it too.

Post a pic and tell us more about the coating.

Beth

p.s. yes, I would boost the hydroxide first.....

ya sorry bout that, it is a oil based solid. if you look at the brown around the door that is the part that needs to be removed. every thing else came of real nice.

post-5886-0-75831600-1410555793_thumb.jp

Ya but I was asking you your methods. do you do one coat? ,two coats? thee coats ? do you do wet on wet?  wait till it dries?  Is there truly a one coat system. the reason I ask is I did a hand rail with like 4 coats and man does it look good. I would think that the more stain you get in there the better off you would be correct ?

Ya but I was asking you your methods. do you do one coat? ,two coats? thee coats ? do you do wet on wet?  wait till it dries?  Is there truly a one coat system. the reason I ask is I did a hand rail with like 4 coats and man does it look good. I would think that the more stain you get in there the better off you would be correct ?

Hey Steven-- you have to be careful with coat on coat when it comes to stains everything under a solid(sometimes solids as well). Not all stains are the same. Some say one coat, some say 2 coats and others say to do a coat over the other coat before it dries.

Over applying stain can cause a problem down the road because stain basically is made to be absorbed by the wood. If you do to many coats then yes it will look good initially but eventually the top layer of coats very well may start to peel off because they never absorbed into the wood.

Sometimes applying a very liberal coat can cause shining in some areas where the stain didn't soak into the wood.

Personally I think staining is the most rewarding of all work in the Power Washing Industry and I consider you guys that do it well like artist. Staining is also the trickiest and if not done right or other bad factors come in such as a downpour in the middle of a job can cause serious headaches. I know this because I had so e rewarding experiences and also headaches at times in the past when it came to me staining.