Sign in to follow this  
Ryan556

Making my own stripper.

Question

Ok, I have been using F-18 since I started. I ran out on a job yesterday and went to my local chem supplier and bought a 50lb bag of caustic soda mini pearls (beads). I thought that was all I would need, but after reading through threads, it looks like that is only half or a third of the mix. Most of what I strip is oil based, but I am on a house right now that is covered in a cheap, failing acrylic. It is coming off ok with 12oz of f-18 per gallon of water. Its just a nasty gooey mess.

Can someone who makes their own mixes please help me out with what else needs to go into it. I ordered another 20 lbs of f-18 today, but I really want to get into making this stuff on my own. F-18 works great for me, but if I am able to just hit the chem supplier near me and make a 100lb batch, it would suit me better.

I undertand that there will be different mixes for different jobs, but I am looking for a basic recipe that I can add to if needed. If you would rather discuss this in PM, Im good with that too. You can also call me at 540-319-0441. Thanks.

11 answers to this question

Add some Butyl to boost it or some propylene glycol but when I add the booster I only mix 2-3 cups of caustic.

Post some pics lets see what you are up against?

Good to know. I will do some research on the mix ratios if I can find it.

What about furring? I sand as a step, but with some strippers, I've noticed furring far worse than with others.

It's the nature of the beast Ryan when stripping with a hot mix or multiple strips combined with the age of the wood it's bound to be fuzzy!  I've seen newer wood not get as fuzzy as like a 5-10 yr old deck after stripping.

It's a small price to pay when starting over by removing a old stain with the stripping process. The bright side is the deck should never need to be stripped again once you are done stripping /sanding and staining! :cool:

I was able to locate propylene glycol at my local chem supplier. That stuff is not cheap! I was given a price of 1.43 per pound for a 55 gallon drum and 2.88 per pound for a 5 gallon pale. They didnt have butyl though. I may have to order that one online.

Sorry I haven't been able to post pics yet. I live in the middle of nowhere and have horrible internet service. I've been too busy when at the office to upload pics. I should be able to this weekend. The job is on hold due to the severe weather.