Sign in to follow this  
Douglas Hicks

No pressure

I have a General TS 2021, 125 hours.  Last week we did, or tried to do a job.  It was about 27°F outside.  The hose on the reel froze and broke.  We used the extra hose to do the job.  We had no pressure, the water just squirted about 1 foot.  We figured the hose was frozen, so we just did the job with a garden hose.  Sunday, I pulled both hoses out of the trailer and put them in the shop.  They were not frozen.  I had  the frozen hose fixed with  new end.  That nite, we tried to do a job.  Again no pressure.  I pulled the valve assembly out of the pump.  Looked good, O'ring was good.  I put the valves back in and started up the PW. Again no pressure.  We did note there is a plug at the bottom of the pump.  Some water was leaking out of the plastic plug.  What is the plastic plug and what does it do?

Any ideas?  Anyone? Bueller?   Bueller?

Did you check your fittings and swivels on the reel?
That is where I had problems with freezing once.

The plug on the bottom of the pump is usually one used for oil drain.

Water coming out of it would indicate that the seals failed and water is now getting into the gear box.

Time for a new pump. I had a similar experience (not from freezing) when the pump just imploded upon itself. Unbolted the head and everything inside

was a tangled mess.

Rod

I did not check for intake leaks.  I think it time to install a clear supply hose from the tank to the pump inlet.  My previous TS 2021 pumps did not have thermal relief valves.  Can I just replace it with a brass plug until you can send me the right part?  Will removing the thermal relief valve loose any oil?  Is the valve pipe thread?  It looks about the same as 1/2  or 3/4 thread.   The oil in the pump is not milky, nor has the oil level increased. 

Russ called me to make sure I got the message.  My other TS 2021 pumps did not have thermal relief valves.  Seems I do not need the thermal relief valve as we plumbed the return hose to the tank. 

Thanks for the parts, great service as always.  (Don't forget to send me $5.00 for the advertising blurb)