Sign in to follow this  
joelnece

Spider Webs at dizzying heights

Question

I have a job that is proving tedious.  The house has a massive back porch with ceiling that are approx. 28 feet high.  They have not had the house cleaned in over 6 years and there is a massive amount of spider webs.  I first tried x jetting with an extension pole with a mix of two gallons of 8.25, one gallon of Power House Wash from Sunbrite and two gallons of water with no reducer in the tip.  It removed very little.  I then attempted to climb a ladder right under the eaves with brushes if varying stiffness and was not able to get enough off to make a difference.  Not being able to really put some pressure on the brush being so high does not help.  I am looking for any ideas of what to do.  I am looking at giving the client some options including renting a boom lift to get up under to get closer with the washer, renting a hot water unit that might help remove the webs better.  Also wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas for a solution that may be better to deal with the webs.  I appreciate any insight.

Joel

post-8046-0-18547300-1425528125_thumb.jp

post-8046-0-84482200-1425528378_thumb.jp

post-8046-0-14205700-1425528401_thumb.jp

5 answers to this question

Sodium hypoclorite is a biocide that will kill mildew, bacteria and disinfect. It won't break down spiderwebs. Neither will the butyl or NaOH in the powerhouse.

The enzymes in the spider poop or the breakdown of their prey can sometimes be lightened with acid based cleaners but they do require scrubbing. If you are trying to remove straight webs and/or nests/cocoons your best bet is to flush them out with copious amounts of water and moderate pressure. By moderate I mean 1000-1200 PSI but never on EIFS and with caution on vinyl. Wash with the direction of the overlaps.

I'm on a cell phone and it's difficult to tell what your substrate is. If it is stucco or an EIFS system like dryvitt your going to find out those webs are going to stick really really well. When reachable I would start in one corner and "sweep" them to the opposite corner with water and then work your way down the wall. It does require some patience but with time you can get most of them off, unless they have degraded and stained into the substrate. I understand your main issue is the height. Do you have a telescoping wand? You may be able to put an x-jet on the end and close it about 2/3 of the way so it's not quite a straight stream and flush a lot of it out with the wand fully extended. A lift is going to incur a sizeable expense.

I'm 6'5' and have a 24' extension wand. With that, 4gpm, a 40tip @750Psi and my arms above my Head, I could most likely clean that to an acceptable level.

You may have to get creative to boost your height. Maybe figure out a way to elevate a 2x12 or plywood a foot or two but only do so with extreme caution and safety protocol in place. That extra foot or two might give you that boost you need to reach with your extension wand saving the customer hundreds of dollars for a lift.

Another option might be to get an extension pole and wrap a wad of duct tape backwards (sticky side out) and collect the webs or a block brush on the end of the same pole and broom them.

GL

-Tom

Edited by Aqua Pro

Sorry I missed this one...

A bleach and degreaser formulation will deal with it.
The combination reduces the spider webs ability to stick and they come right off during a wash.

Hot water (125*) helps too.

Rod