Sign in to follow this  
Aqua Pro

HVLP

Question

Curious what folks are using these days for oil base stain application. I still have and use my Sunbrite Deckster and my ACR Products Decker (virtually the same except for battery box and powder coated frame)

What's new (or old) out there that you use/like and why?

9 answers to this question

Tom,

After all these years, we still use Pumptec pumps (ie: Decker, Deckster, and the like) to apply stain.  Unlike Rob above, we only use the units for stain.  Chems are applied with Shurflo's.  I know of no recent improvement on these pumps.

I'm sure airless units work well with heavy bodied stains, but not for a thin stain such as Ready Seal.  The veritable "fog of doom".  And working on a hot summer day without a respirator is a pleasure.

I'm using my deckster/decker for stain only as well and shurfloes for chemical. I use airless for my solid hybrid.

I was wondering if their were other HVLP systems available that would atomise similar to the decker with even coverage. I've seen the Wagner type systems and wondered how well something like that would work. One immediate and obvious disadvantage that I seen is capacity. Looks like most of those have half gallon reservoirs.

I was hoping someone knew of a better mousetrap.

:)

Hey Rick,

The 'vertitable fog of doom' isn't as bad when you adjust your pressure to suit the product applied and use a larger orifice tip.

I have experienced that fog even with deckers/desksters when we used to use Wood Tux back in the day.

Part of the reason why we switched. Better control factor and choice of tips.

Rod

Hi Rod,

We all missed you and Beth this past weekend in Bethlehem.  Hope to see you next year.

Ancient history.  When I first started in wood, tried an airless using a Wolman oil (so long ago, forget the name on the product!)  Messed around with tips , and it kind of worked.  Problem came when we switched to Ready Seal.  It is such a light consistancy, IMO one cannot use an airless.

Thats when Pumptec introduced the Decker 5'er.  What a life saver!  But then again, newer airless units might be useable these days.  My old Binks has been sitting in the garage for 12 yrs. now.

Rick,

Yeah, we weren't able to make it this year. Full plate and not enough hours in the day.

We enjoy the show and are disappointed ourselves in not having the time to go.

Ready Seal does have that lighter than air capability to it. I forgot since I stopped using it so long ago.

We used to just use pump ups for it. Tried it with the decker and got the fog of doom.

Once you release it, you never know where it will go...

Rod

Rob,

Au contraire my friend.  The Pumptec pumps are adjusted to 35 - 45 psi and flow regulated depending on the species of wood and vertical/horizontal application.

We still cut in by hand around house walls, concrete pads, etc. for 18" or so.  After that it's spray away. 

Thomas,

Pumptec manufactures a huge line of pumps.  Check out their website and give them a call. 

As you and I know Rick, as the owner, you know what to do with the equipment and when.

I can't always get my techs to know the difference or even care for that matter.

They just hook up and go.

Rod