Sign in to follow this  
Jersey Bill

Dirty Stucco

Question

I have to clean a three story pink stucco house less than a block from the beach. I haven't done a lot of stucco houses and none of them were this dirty or large. The house has dirt and algae on it.  I bought Elemonator to add to my mix instead of my usual laundry detergent.  For vinyl houses I use 2 gallons of SH (12.5%), splash of laundry detergent and splash of Mr. Clean rest water in 5 gallon bucket.

I will be using my 4gpm belt driven machine with chem injector. I have no problem spraying three stories.  I read some people using roof pumps to apply their mix because their machines dilute too much.  

How much SH should I use for dirty Stucco? Can I get away with downstreaming?

Does anyone add F13 for Stucco and if so how much?  What precautions should I take if I use it?

Are there any other chemicals or tips you guys recommend?

Has anyone had problems with discoloring or lightening the color with too much SH?

I know to try a test spot but I want to know what to look for in advance.  Some spots behind bushes I will have to use brush and pump sprayer because it is black and thick.

6 answers to this question

In my experience  a house wash mix would be fine , maybe a little stronger on the bleach if the green is bad. I use Eliminator 1oz per gallon or 5 gallon bucket 5 ounces. 4 gallons of SH. I would not add F-13.That may mess with pink stucco and there really isn't any reason to add it.Tell the customer the color may lighten a little to to the oxidization but you should be fine maybe even a hero. Just my 2 cents

Just as Brad suggested I do not believe that stucco is any different from vinyl siding when it comes to cleaning it. I believe using a good house wash mix should do the trick, however as always you want to be careful not to use to much pressure as it will easily damage the stucco

Just as Brad suggested I do not believe that stucco is any different from vinyl siding when it comes to cleaning it. I believe using a good house wash mix should do the trick, however as always you want to be careful not to use too much pressure as it will easily damage the stucco

You may find a stiff bristle brush will be needed on areas like window sills and trim.

Depending upon the age and condition some areas of spotting may originate beneath the surface

and are from the mesh installed beneath.

Other areas you will have trouble with are the grey streaks at the corners of windows with aluminum facing.
The aluminum oxide rust is able to be removed with an acid like oxalic.
There is a problem getting these stains out.
1st is is can alter the color of the stucco.

2nd can also cause the stucco to begin to spalding or deteriorate.

Prewet before applying acid and brush the area to remove the stain and immediately rinse.

Rod