Sign in to follow this  
bobmez

Electrical outlets...safety

Question

Just wondering what precautions many of you use for keeping water from getting behind these outlets. We use plastics and tape. A few times we had issues with water shorting out wires, actually very scary stuff. Fire hazard for sure as we found charred remains when we pulled it apart.

7 answers to this question

I keep a bag full of a bag full of plastic shopping bags and a roll of 2'' painters tape in the truck (van) we bag and tape where needed as in outlets.We also tape the door bell button. Always we learn from our mistakes. I also have the phone number of a good election in case of emergency.

Good advice, but I have not found anything short of duct tape that will stick long enough through the process to be worth the effort

and afterwards deal with the residue or pulling paint/oxidation.

Any suggestions?

Rod

I'm mainly speaking from  house washing experience so it doesn't have to last too long. When we are doing it right we tape around the box and then overlapping strips like siding so the water can not get behind. The blue 3M 2'' painters tape seems to work best. The cheap stuff is not worth it.Then I teach my guys even though the outlets are taped just avoid them, in a perfect world. But we have blown a breaker of two, one time turning off the garage freezer. Not good.

Edited by bradcarey

The first thing we do on any job is walk the house and Gorilla tape all the outlets. Always good to have a fire extinguisher on board also because the breakers don't always trip and you can have a fire . Been there done that. 

...  Always good to have a fire extinguisher on board also because the breakers don't always trip and you can have a fire . Been there done that. 

Very good advice.  From a wood only perspective with decks,  as long as the outlets have a solid hinged cap, not a problem.  We're not washing siding, only horizontal wood.

A mounted appropriate fire extinguisher in your truck is a must.  Errant smokes, linseed oil soaked rags, etc. can be a catastrohpe just waiting to happen.  Ask Greg R.

Hoods are a bit different because there is always grease around the outlets.  We first use a cleaner around the outlet. Then we use clear package tape around the outlet.  As BradCarey said, we start at the bottom and overlap each layer.  But we make the first layer a little longer, then fold the end under so we have a tab to grab and all the tape comes off. 

We have never had a problem with sparks, but if you are concerned, get a Water Mist from Amerex.  Do not recharge a water mist yourself.  you have to use DI water. 

If you do use an ABC extinguisher on an energized electrical circuit, clean the powder off the wet wiring.  water and Ammonium Phosphate will corrode the wiring.