RPetry

This should raise a few hackles ...

Question

Courtesy of the "Paint Quality Institute", a fully funded arm of Dow Chemical.  If you have worked on exterior wood for any time, reach for a barf bag.

This is more than absurd, it should be criminal.  Go to: http://www.paintquality.com/en/articles/2015/04/why-acrylic-coatings-are-the-best-options-for-decks

Read it and weep.

26 answers to this question

Wow...it must be true if it is written on the internet. :stupid:

Jason,

Yup.  That is how the world perceives it.  Very bad karma. Any one who knows anything about exterior wood exposed to sun, rain, snow, and god knows what else knows better. 

Hard to fight big money marketing and uneducated customers.  But that is our job.

Funny, I'm so old I can remember hippies fighting Dow Chem's production of napalm for the war in Vietnam.  Nice company to do business with.

Yeah but 123 is not meant to be the deck coating really either. Don't even start me on the Rubbol garbage.  We have several SRD clients, the product works well for them and they are happy. We only have a few DEK customers we maintain, but they are on a meticulous schedule wiith us and know what they are in for. We do not install new DEK.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with using an acrylic on the rails  and a matching oil on the floor, it reduces the maintenance cost on the deck dramatically.Been doing it for years.

Beth

Hello everyone  tis the season and here we go starting off with a good one. Please take a look at the pictures and give me some suggestions. No idea what brand of product is on there. just know that its not oil. I was going to pass on this but then I thought why? If I am to expand my horizons and try and really restore decks, there are plenty like this. And by doing these Oil can not be my only option   my thoughts where to sand the floor as best I can with my machine and then add another product.. thinking latex is out. not interested in the restore products, so that leaves acrylic. anyone got any ideas? post-5886-0-63672300-1462238234_thumb.jppost-5886-0-52973000-1462238262_thumb.jppost-5886-0-41452600-1462238294_thumb.jp

post-5886-0-63632700-1462910760_thumb.pnYes I am going to strip the TOP rails, I ordered five gallons of peel away 1 and hope that will work, I should.  I did a test spot on the floor with some boosted s hydroxide and it came of ok.  so my plan is,

strip the top hand rails with the peel away 1,

strip the deck boards with the boosted hydroxide.

Oil both hand rails and deck boards with a darker color

Paint everything else white to match the trim.

forgive my editing skills but I am aiming for something like the picture.

Stephen,

Rod has a point.  Not familiar with Peel Away, if it has a very thick consistency, think "pudding" or better yet "paste", it should work well on the top and 2 thin sides of the handrails, as long as it is effective.  We keep 5 - 10 gals. in stock of an extremely caustic stripper, Eaco Chem's Stripper Cream.  Chem gloves, safety glasses, and a rinse bucket of an acid is mandatory with the acid in case you get some on clothes or skin.  Thick, kind of like pudding, and will cling to verticals with little to no drip.  Apply "thick". Allow to dwell, if needed overnight, and pressure wash.  Follow with a strong acid neutralizer and rinse again.  You will definitely have to do a quick sanding of that wood.

Edited by RPetry

The peel away product is good for the vertical. It is a paste form and after you apply it you put some paper over it And let it sit for 24 to 36 hours. I watched a video of them using it on a wall and if it works as good as the video then yahoo.

Rod I don't use sikkens, but i'm interested to hear why Sikkens is a particular bad alkyd stain. Thoughts?

Trevor 

Sorry for missing your post Trevor.

In our experience, Sikkens is a great product but it has it's drawbacks and caveats.

Maintenance being the biggest.

Sikkens dek especially goes through a color shift as it ages (darkens like skin in the sun)

So if you have a structure with it installed and parts are failing or failed, then the product

out of the can will not match what is already on the surface and the result will be splotchy.

Rod

Steven,

Dummond has about 6 different "Peel Away" strippers.  The one shown in the video is for lead, oil based paint removal.  The top rails in your pictures appear to a water based, possibly an acrylic coating.  You may want to give them a call for correct product selection.

I need to put in some kind of  " way more work than i anticipated " clause. I finished the deck but was waaaay over the time frame. 22 hours over to be exact. That really bit into my profit margine.

I use a time and sqft based production factor in my estimation of a job.
Overall, it led to a sqft price based upon each service and listed out like a

grocery receipt.
Then, the customer is given options as to how much they are willing to spend and given an expectation

based upon their choices.

Another way to do it is to just price it twice as high as normal. What's the worst that can happen?
They say no and you don't lose money from under bidding?

Rod

Depends on the circumstances.
In our state, we can supply the customer with a overage  statement to cover

product usage.
I don't know what your state allows for job time exceeding estimations but I have learned that
Your time is one that you eat unless you have made stipulations in the estimate/contract

about the time estimated and have verbiage included to cover IF you go over.
If that is the case, you will have to make substantiations for why.

Rod

Depends on the circumstances.

In our state, we can supply the customer with a overage  statement to cover

product usage.

I don't know what your state allows for job time exceeding estimations but I have learned that

Your time is one that you eat unless you have made stipulations in the estimate/contract

about the time estimated and have verbiage included to cover IF you go over.

If that is the case, you will have to make substantiations for why.

Rod

Hence the " way more work than I anticipated " clause. lol

I have no idea what I was thinking when I bid that job. I have been doing decks for three years and keep my time frame in  place 99 percent of the time.

Square foot or hourly it all comes down to how long it takes to do something.

I am sure you have your system down pat and rarely go over your estimated price.

Edited by steven