Sign in to follow this  
ANTH0NY

CAN I FIX THIS??

Question

hello all, i recently did a pressure wash on a home with aluminum siding. got all of the dirt and residue off of the house but when it dried it left streaks and some color appeared darker in some spots. IS THERE ANY WAY TO FIX THIS?? , PLEASE HELP!!post-8657-0-17586500-1435752617_thumb.jppost-8657-0-69802600-1435752643_thumb.jppost-8657-0-65366300-1435752680_thumb.jp

11 answers to this question

What soap did you you use on the house and do you have any before pics you can show us? Personally we stay far away from cleaning aluminum sided houses unless they want them prepped to be painted. Reason we stay away from just cleaning aluminum is because the pant on it becomes oxidized and can easily come off during cleaning.

I think you're going to have a problem. I usually refuse a job like that unless the homeowner is getting ready to paint the aluminum.

This Australian based, Kiwi born, needs some insight.....aluminium cladding. Its not here in Perth, & not in NZ. So I'm going to have  to assume its made to look like timber overlap, but made of thin, formed ali? Yes? Is the colour bonded to the surface at manufacture or is painted after the place is built? We have panelling over here called Colourbond. It never breaks down. Its electrically bonded   to the panels at the point of manufacture. It doesn't fade, mold can be removed with out any damage, using a bleach/soap mix.

Any hoo, this cladding. What is it?.

Did you brush any of it?
Blue and green colored aluminum siding always has problems and we quote to brush it.

We use a degreaser in the solution to help with the oxidation and to even up the degraded color.

Customer is informed if the siding is in bad enough shape to begin with that they may consider painting it afterwards because of the

nature of these colors on aluminum siding.

Rod

Vinyl siding pretty much was a death sentence aluminim siding here. A typical aluminum sided house here will be 30+yrs old. That is why so many of these sided houses have oxidized paint on them and that is why we almost always turn down cleaning them because of the potential problems you very well could have dealing with aluminum.

To me the least headaches I can have running my business is what I strive for and aluminum siding has caused me headsches in the past which I just dont need anymore.

i went over the house again using krud kutter and a brush which i think didnt do anything. i went up close with the pressure washer and went strip by strip and i got most of the dark spots out but still left some light streaking and pw marks but it looks a lot better than it did. i want to use everbrite but was wondering if it will cover the light streaking marks on the siding?

Anthony,

Did one of these for a friend many years ago. For a re-paint. Old aluminum can be cleaned with low pressure, like killing mold and removing dirt. Otherwise, it's a crap shoot.

Aluminum can be tricky, we write all of ours up as paint preps or we will not do them.  Most all aluminum is 30-40 years old.  I guess they started producing it with left over materials from the war.  The finish is all oxidized (that's what happens to the siding as it ages, happens a lot on vinyl as well, you have to look out for it) and I think the spots where maybe you used more pressure than other areas, taking the finish off(very easy to do)  I think that's why you may have felt it looked better after doing panel by panel.  I also find with aluminum that stains can leak out from behind the siding.  It's yellowish and I only have a few guesses as to what it is.  But it's nearly impossible to get off.

We did one cornflower blue aluminum sided house and while the house for the most part looked quite fine, there was a section just beyond the

deck where it looked like someone had thrown some kind of liquid on that side and it looks darker than the rest.

The customer tried to blame us for it but we assured them we could not create that effect with our cleaners.

We rewashed the siding and brushed it to ensure we got every bit cleaned but when it dried, the splash effect

was still there.

They tried to tell us that it wasn't there before despite the oxidation present which hid the effect till we washed it.
Nothing could be done to change it and that was that.
We concluded that someone had to have thrown something on the siding and created the condition long before us.

Rod