Sign in to follow this  
Ipaman

About to do my first house wash

Question

Well I am taking the plunge and doing my first house this Friday. Expectations have been set low with the customer and the price was probably too cheap but I wanted to get my feet wet.

I will be using a dewalt 4200 psi pressure washer and a 18ft extension. I am going to be picking up some wash at a local Hotsy dealer where I will be getting the extension.

Any suggestions or tips?

[8178 970023attachment=15148:ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435799045.108338.jpg]post-8660-143579905806_thumb.jpgpost-8660-143579906806_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post-8660-14357990457_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ipaman

18 answers to this question

Here are my suggestions, based on what I've learned here and the other forums, and through experience:

Don't waste your money on the extension pole, just get wand extensions (if you really need them) and QC them together.

Don't waste your money on over priced chems; just use the tried and true house wash mix, let it dwell, rinse it well.

Get yourself set up with softwash tips and don't ruin that siding with high pressure.

I realize that you're already on the hook for this job, but you'll do a better job for your customer and save yourself a lot of hassle if you reschedule the job, order the stuff you need to do it right, and do a bit more research while you're waiting for the toys to arrive.

Thanks for the advice. We have a Hotsy dealer here in Nashville so I can probably pick up wand extensions and soft wash tips or whatever else I need tomorrow.

I might add my 2 cents worth here. Get the right chemicals to do the job right. X-13 Gutter Gernade is what you want to make those gutters look like new, about a 15:1 ratio. It doesn't take much. Spray it on in the shade and rinse before it dries. You won't believe the difference. On vinyl houses I coat them with a light bleach mixture and use a FatBoy to pump it from chemical tanks in the truck. Dwell for 10 minutes and rinse. You can use an XJet for this too. DO NOT buy an extension wand. Years ago when I first tried the XJet I came home and used a chain saw on my extension wand so it would fit in the trashcan. I also mix Simple Cherry to keep things rinsing well. Lastly, do not rely on pressure to clean the house, you'll only get into trouble. The key to a good job is water volume, not pressure.

Try to start at the gutters so you don't have to rinse the whole house over. A lot of nastiness is going to come off those gutters and land on the vinyl siding. Let us know how it works out.

BTW, YouTube has tons of videos but not all of them are good. Use your common sense and you'll do fine.

I don't know how low you bid that. Out in New England I would get 400$ and spend about 2 or 3 hours on it working alone. The more you do the faster it goes.

Rick I actually attempted to do the job today. Let's just say it was a disaster. I am going to post up what I did and the questions I have later on when I get a minute. Please help me! Hahaha

And I bid it way too low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Ipaman

Okay so here is what happened today. I went to my local Hotsy Dealer with the idea that I was going to get a downstream injector kit,some nozzles that would allow me to soft wash the house, and some type of house wash. For nozzles I was thinking along the lines of a 0040 to get soap high and the whatever else he would recommend.  

When I got there I was talked into getting a 24' extension. I was told I would just need pressure and wouldn't need soap to clean the house. So I took his word for it and went on my way. In my mind all I could think about was all the you tube videos of guys soft washing a house using chemicals.  

As I began to work I quickly realized that while the heavy stuff would come right off it was not getting clean by just pressure washing it. On top of that I couldn't manipulate that extension for the life of me. If I have to use an extension like that for every house I promise I would hang it up. Hahaha  . So as of right now I told the homeowners not to worry about paying me and that I would need to come up with a plan B. Screw that extension! I will never use one again.

So below are some questions I really need help with.

My machine is a dewalt 4200 psi that does 4 gpm. All I own is the stock equipment that came with it. Gun with a wand, stock tips, stock chemical injector, etc..

1. What other equipment do I need to soft wash a house? x-Jet? Downstream Injector? What tips? I need you to be very specific here because I am not sure myself and am counting on you guys to learn. Also it seems like my chemical injector is after my pump. So isn't it a downstream Injector already?  

2. What chemical or house wash should I buy that could be a kinda of do it all type product? Most of what I am seeing is green algae and black mold under that and on the gutters. I was able to easily get the green off today but the faint black spots underneath would not come off.    

3. How in the world do I use that chemical? Do I mix it with water in a five gallon bucket or do I just stick my chemical injector into the bucket of the chemical? I am thinking the chemical gets mixed with the water in my wand so why would it need to be mixed with water before hand?

4. Any other help or tips on the process that I am trying to do would be great. Please dummy it down for me because I am very new to

this.

5. Where should I buy all this stuff? I can't be driving all over town anymore so I am going to have to order it online.

Thanks,

Matt

Edited by Ipaman

Okay, let's try this. It's 10:30 pm and just got back from fireworks with the wife and kid but I'll give it a shot.

Buy an XJet. They aren't cheap (100+) but it will be one of your best investments. No more need to buy any tips because the XJet has a variable spread. Her a 5 gallon bucket to mix the chemicals in and let the XJet draw from that bucket. You should be able to hit 25 or 30 feet with the Xjet, plenty for that house. You don't need a chemical injector because you now have the XJet. For the amount of nasty on that house you might want to mix 1 to 2 gallons of bleach and the rest water in that 5 gallon bucket. Soak it down with the Xjet (in the shade) dwell and rinse. It will come out beautiful.

But the products from Pressure Tek in Clevand Ohio. Ask for Stuttering Bob (no joke). You need Gutter Gernade and a XJet to get yourself started. While you are waiting for that to come in on the UPS truck look around your city for a chemical distributer. You are looking for Sodium Hypochlorite at 12.5% or 15%. Get an account with that company. You'll have to fill out government paperwork for terrorism crap. (No joke). Let us know when this is done and we'll move onto the next step. I've got to get some sleep but I'll be around tomorrow.

Anyone else want to add something? Please feel free.

Edited by Rick2

Rick that was perfect. I will get an x jet asap. When I looked at one this morning the guy told me there was a lot to learn because of all the tips the x jet came with. What did he mean by that?

The gutters on this house are actually getting replaced so I am off the hook for them. So you think two gallons of bleach with 3 gallons of water should do it?

Thanks

That should have been a 2 hour job. What cleaners did you use on it?

Get an X-Jet, M-5.

Learn what blend (and why) to make a good house washing solution.

DO keep an extension, and also a lightweight aluminum lance to connect to the gun with the X-Jet on the other end, for extra throw distance so you can remain on the ground. Keep a soft bristled truck washing brush.....just in case.

Maybe Rod will also chime in....

Beth

A $15 dollar hand pump with a 50/50 bleach water mix and garden hose would have done better than just pressurized water from an extension....is that dewd still in business ?

Edited by 577-Jersey