Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Armstrong Clark deck

Question

13 answers to this question

I have restore a deck cleaner and brightener that I use. When I go to reseal a deck with another coat of Armstrong Clark do I need to brighten as well or just clean?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bobby,

Just noticed you are using "Restore a Deck".  AFAIK, this is primarily sodium percarbonate which in solution has a pH of ~ 10 - 10.5.  Thereby caustic.  Follow up with a acid neutralizer and after a bit, a water rinse.

... Many deck maintenance cleaners are formulated with oxalic acid.

Rod

AFAIK, no acid, oxalic, citric, or other acids (lord forbid), clean wood.  And anyone marketing a caustic cleaner mixed at the same time with an acid is a shyster.  A  cleaning on wood with a percarbonate or a sodium hydroxide stripper or stronger caustic, yeah, an acid is more than mandatory.

Just a clean and additional stain, sodium hypochlorite and a bit of soap, and light PW,  followed by a good water rinse is much better for the existing stain in and on the wood.

Great way to expound on that one Rick.

That is true. My intent was to help direct the inquirer to where they could find oxalic acid commonly

until they are ready to buy in quantity. At that point, bulk would be the most cost effective.

Rod