steven

Cedar shake strip and stain pctures

Question

Just a couple of pics of a project I am working on, this was some really old shakes that needed two fat coats of amber. you can see on the front where i left off on the second coat.

post-5886-0-36768000-1441467335_thumb.jp

post-5886-0-41364800-1441467372_thumb.jp

post-5886-0-09666900-1441467401_thumb.jp

post-5886-0-13475200-1441467533_thumb.jp

60 answers to this question

Rick,

That tree was huge. To bad it wasn't hardwood they are getting $300 a cord.

I have been in this area for about twelve years. Population 3500. My market up here is a tough one. I have to travel 20 to 40 miles for about 50% of my work. I love it though, I probably do 1/8th of what most southern power washers do yearly ( mostly cuz I want it that way and I charge way to much) and I am happy. That farm with the beef cattle is owned by my wife's uncle. She, the misses, grew up there. milking cows when she was young. Talk about working  your property. Uncle David is out there every day doing something with his property. it is a true never ending chore.  We have just under two acres here but they have 375 acres across the street.

Beth,

My nephew and I cut off all the branches, sectioned the trunk, and hauled it to our road in front by dragging with my pickup and chain.  Rented a backhoe, dug out the stump and sectioned it, and deposited it in the strip of woods bordering the sides of our property. 

A local small nursery chipped it all up and took it away.  The next spring we purchased 15 yds. of mulch from them.  Bet part of the load was that tree.  Got us coming and going!

Beth,

Spruce and most pine wood is not worth the effort to split, particularly when it has not cured for many years.  Too much resin, coats the flue, smoky, poor burning etc.  We do have a large, well built LR fireplace and a fire pit outside in the back.  The original owner and builder who we purchased the property from was a mason!  We only use hardwoods in the fireplace and for $110 per face cord split and delivered, well worth it.

It's a gratifying feeling to be able to go back and check on how a project is holding up and see what you just posted.

We could see you put a lot of hard work into it and the results are looking excellent.

Rod

Thanks guys,

Of all the picture I took I didn't take one of the view. here is the best shot I got you might be able to see some of it,The view is phenomenal,. Mount Washington is dead ahead.  so of course the deck had to be spot on.  

post-5886-0-45833300-1447168978_thumb.jp