Sign in to follow this  
Robere

Brown dirt stains on vinyl

Question

I've been washing houses for 15 years and have never seen vinyl siding stained as bad as this house. The areas that never get rain, like the first three feet or so under the eves and under the porches are dirt stained brown. Of course it is white siding. I put almost straight bleach on it and it wouldnt take it off. Any ideas? Thanks

7 answers to this question

Chemical residue improperly rinsed will become active in subsequent dew/humidity periods and degrade the siding.
Aluminum shows it as a rust while the vinyl will show it as dirt.
You can try a mild acid to see if it will come off. If it doesn't, it is pre-existing irreversible damage.

Rod

Hi Rod. This is my Mother n Laws house. I washed it about 10 years ago and it came clean. This is definatley from dirt sitting on it so long. What type of mild acid would you use on vinyl? Thanks.

Oxalic Acid would work as a mild version.

Phosphoric would be stronger and more aggressive.

Rod

Thanks Rod. I have oxalic acid. I'll ty it. It was recommended to me by someone to try Barkeepers Friend. It took it off, but it takes scrubbing by hand with a sponge. I'd sure like to get away from that remedy. I didn't want to put anything on it that was too strong. I'll try the Oxalic. Thanks again.