Sign in to follow this  
577-Jersey

Pump Oil,ND 30 Weight VS.Synthetic.VS Hydraulic Oil??

So at $10 for 20oz.of Cat oil,$4 for 32oz.of Autozone 30w ND oil,or $15 plus for some of the synthetic pump oils,which ones do you guys use,how often do you change it and why?

If you use regular cheap ND oil do you have to change the oil sooner than if using hydraulic oil?

Will using regular ND oil damage my Cat pump since it requires the more expensive,possibly snake oil,or doesn't it matter?

Thanks in advance guys,I just don't want to damage my pump or cause problems down the road,my 50 hour drop is coming up soon...was thinking to drop it sooner than that as it does look pretty brown.

Tom :)

Edited by 577-Jersey

I believe most of the time one should follow manufacturers instructions depending on the machine you own

I disagree,,most of the time the manufacturer is just a sheep for the engineering of the units,,this happens in all things,cars,small engines,mowers,ect....the equipment or product is designed to fail at a certain time in its life for one thing or another,,this then results in the service dept.making their share of revenue as well,,parts and service is a HUGE part of any industries income...

50 hour first drop and 500 hour oil swap after that is way too long IMO,,my oil had metal flakes and was dirty after 2 hours of use the first time....500 hours is just asking for trouble,,dirty oil is dirty oil and the only cheap insurance we have is to change it out with a good quality product way sooner than the manufacturer recommends.

Dont fall for the industry propaganda just because you read it in a book,,change your oil sooner than recommended on all your equipment you will get more for your $$ in the long run.

As far as running the recommended oil for warranty reasons and so forth well thats fine :)

Also you did not answer my question?

I just wanted some info on what people used in their different pumps,the results and why they use it.

Thx

Tom

Edited by 577-Jersey

Hydraulic oil is not necessarily a lubricating oil.

It is designed with a density factor for the purpose of limiting compression differential.
Made to displace air which compresses so easily in order to provide a safe hydraulic fluid.

ND (non-detergent) oil is typical for pumps because of the sealed compartment they operate in.

I would stick with oil designated for use in pumps and change them based upon the operations manuals specifications.

Rod