gman201

How many partime or full time are shutting down for winter?

Question

Any an all estimates now will be scheduled for the spring of 2016 due to cold weather in KY! How many others shut down this time of year?

30 answers to this question

Our season tapers off around ThanksGiving. December is not as busy.

Jan-Feb are too cold.

Start up in March.

Rod

Same here Rod........unless it warms up in Feb.....but March is useually when we fire back up. We've got a bit of Commercial work in Dec....Budget Surpluses.

Gearing up for commercial ice-damming with one of my trucks. I may regret this because I'll be on call whenever they need me. Could even be called on Christmas day. The money side is good because we get paid the minute we leave to the minute we get back.

Right now where doing gutter clean outs and and an out of state Parking Garage thanksgiving day weekend which is going so suck but it will help pay the bills.

Edited by John T

We used to do Ice Damn removal as well. Cold work and a bit treacherous in the snow of yards you have not been on before and are trying to find

good footing for ladders.

God I hate getting snow down the back of my jacket...

Rod

This ice damming is for commercial flatwork only for a particular object. My connection has 6000 accounts and I will be covering the 5 Borroughs of NY city and possibly a chunk of NJ. This work sucks but a friend of mine made over a 100grand doing this so with those #'s I'm willing to role the dice.

I just did my last two jobs last week...a small single story and a brick walkway.

I winterized both washers till late March here in Jersey....time to sit back and get my learn on..

BTW-Happy Thanksgiving to all you guys!!

Tom :)

I keep my unit up until mid-December to handle any flatwork and house wash requests that may come.

Since the unit is inside a Sprinter van, I can plug in a heater and keep the inside temps in the 40's.

Thermostatically controlled.

Rod

If its above freezing and there's work that can be done we do it. This time of year when it gets slow every job we get now is more money I can squirrel away for those snowy days that are coming.

Rod how do you like that set up as far as Spriter Van do you have a skid unit with water tank. I was thinking about getting a Spriter Van myself but I was not sure if there was enought room.

Mike,

I love the set up. Keeps the unit out of the weather and eliminates a trailer are the two biggest reasons why I decided on installing it

in a Sprinter.

I can't say the idea was mine though. Another pw'er in the next county showed me his set up and I thought it was a great idea.

His version was to use a 325 gallon barrel tank as the supply, two separate cold water units and a 3 stack hose reel set.

I first had the same tank but put in a 2-gun hot water skid instead. Not much room left...about 80 cubic feet.

Changed out the tank for a square 150 gallon version and placed a sheet of plywood on top with a hole cut for the access port.

Now I have 125 cubic feet of space for all the rest of the supplies and a place to put a tool box, water cooler and room for accessing the back

of the skid unit for any repairs.

My service guy (Tom Vogel) hated it when I brought the unit in though because we had everything directly bolted through the floor and getting it

out for service was tedious and time consuming.

I came up with another idea which is based upon a set of 4x4's bolted through the floor and another bolted onto the skid frame and they sit

side by side and have 4-1" grade 5 steel linch pins to keep them in place. Now, I just have to pull the 4 pins and out she comes on a forklift.

I can take pics for anyone who is interested in the set up.

Rod

Dino,

Hot water and cutting back behind the damn with the water while clearing out the gutter trough and debris clogging the downspout.

Will post pics later this afternoon of the Sprinter set up.

Rod

Sorry about the delay in getting these pics uploaded.
Couldn't do it with the van loaded from helping Roger and Celeste finish their log home.

The first is of the 2-gun unit at the rear of the van.

The second is a view into the side door showing the tank, accessory drawer, hose reel stack and tool box.

Third is of the winterization port between the tank and the pw'er.

Rod

post-2-0-59710700-1450120793_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-64017200-1450120825_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-93465900-1450120858_thumb.jpg

Nice setup Rod. How do you like that blue non marking hose? I use to own some yellow ones & also a couple of blues & I found they use to leave marks on driveways etc. The grey hoses always worked best for us.

Hey guys,

New here so just saying hi.

We're hopefully not done yet.  It was 14C (57F) here yesterday which has been great.

We're going to try and offer some services this winter that will allow us to use the equipment and get by until March.  I'm thinking interior pressure washing/industrial unit cleaning, grout cleaning, winter graffiti removal (with varying results), and salt removal closer to springtime.

I just learned about ice dam removal, that might be something to look into.

Rod, thanks for posting pictures of your setup.

Could you explain the last picture a bit more?  Is that the space heater you use to keep the temperature from freezing?  Do you just run an extension from the house?

Thanks all!

Nice setup Rod. How do you like that blue non marking hose? I use to own some yellow ones & also a couple of blues & I found they use to leave marks on driveways etc. The grey hoses always worked best for us.

Thanks John.

This particular one isn't bad.

I have bought others that did mark.

The only reason why I buy blue is to be able to distinguish one line from the other during work.

You know...the spaghetti tangle after a number of hours on a site.

The grey hoses always are a good bet for non-marking.

Rod

Andrew,
yep. A milkhouse heater. Extension cord from the house is correct.
It is temporary until I winterize for the season. Much longer than that is too much on the electric bill.
Overnight temps tend to dip into the freezing range and this little heater keeps it warm enough to

avoid problems.

Rod