Sign in to follow this  
gtagumremoval

Removing a seal from composite decking

Question

Hey All,

I'm new here. I look forward to getting to know everyone and helping provide my input where I can.  Trying to spend some time everyday to go through and learn as much as I can. I'm excited.

I was wondering if I could get some input on a current problem in the meantime.

I've got a customer who looks to have the seal partially stripped from their composite decking.

See pictures below.

What could I do to get them back to a clean slate?

Thanks,

Andrew

post-8709-0-70276300-1450205223_thumb.jp

post-8709-0-85809800-1450205228_thumb.jp

5 answers to this question

First off, need to find out which brand of sealer was applied.
Without chemical composition background, it is difficult to determine which product will strip it.

Second, are they changing the color or just recoating?

Rod

Thanks for the reply Rod.

The product is Veranda brand composite decking from Home Depot.  I asked the customer, and he did not believe there was any sealer applied when he had the deck built ~3-4 years ago.

I will get the customer to check and see if on the invoice he might have some info if there was a sealer used.  I will also contact Veranda and see if the product already had something on it coming from the factory.

Might composite decking already have a seal on it when new?

No discussion on colour change or reapplying a sealer yet.  I do not have much experience in applying sealer, but am learning through as I go through this forum.  

There is interest in yearly maintenance for the deck to keep it looking clean.  I imagine leaving a bare composite will dirty and weather much faster then if it is sealed.

Thanks again.

Edited by gtagumremoval

Just an update, the customer talked with the installer, they did not apply any sort of seal.  

He also talked with Veranda: the product that was used (3-4 year old composite decking) when it is manufactured, during the process develops this film on the surface, they do not apply anything additionally when it is being made.  

Apparently with newer composite decking products this is not the case, they do apply something.

This film has likely been stripped away by pressure washing where the brute force of the water has removed the film.  The markings in the picture agree with that.

Options:

1. I will keep researching into what that film might be composed of, so can potentially find the right product.  Get the product and remove the rest chemically.

2. Otherwise, remove the rest of the film physically.  Control the pressure and find the minimum psi and temperature that will remove the film, use a surface head to get an even result.  

It will wear on the areas that already have the film removed so should only be a last resort.   

Andrew I would contact the manufacturer to see if they would give you any suggestions first. Before I would start on the project You have to make sure that the expectations of the home owner are met. Some times when dealing with composite decking it is dificult to get everything evenly unless you apply another composite deck sealer. Good Luck.

My only concern is for the potential damage to the composite.
I have not to this date had to strip any nor have I applied any coating to it so

this is new water as well.

I can only proceed based upon my knowledge of coatings and strippers which does not take into

consideration any affect upon the composite decking.
I would only suggest cleaning and recoating in this case.

Rod