Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

Cedar shake gazebo roof

Question

I still do the occasional wood job and was asked to bid on this. Never done shake before.  How would I tackle this?  Its moderately heavy mildew and the shakes are less than ten years old.  Can they be walked on?  I dont think i want to walk on them for the cleaning part, should I get a lift?

How do you guys normally do them?

Edited by Chappy

8 answers to this question

Jon from looking at the pictures you posted it appears that you can wash the shakes by applying a sodium precarbonate let it dwell for fithteen to twenty minutes then wash and follow by oxalic acid then make sure you rinse well. One thing you should keep in mind when dealing with shake wood is the softness of wood. Use appropriate pressure and use a 40 degree tip. You should be able to walk on the roof without damaging it.

Well every time you work on a shake roof you have to wear appropriate foot wear to keep your footing also you would have to use tie down rope to make sure you do not fall. For your job I believe you should use a ladder with stabilizer.

Hi Jon,

We've done many similar gazebo cedar shake roofs in the past, usually associated with deck(s). Being in Florida, I would assume that there is quite a bit of mold/mildew, particularly on the cut lower edges of the shakes and shaded areas of the cupola.

As a cleaner, a 1.5 - 2% bleach mix with some soap would be appropriate. Using a Shurflo or similar pump, soak all the shakes well with the cleaner. For this step, if the shakes are in good shape, walking the roof should be fine.

Two separate methods to washing. With either, a 10 - 12' step ladder is ideal. First, and quickest, is to use a short lance with a flexible lance attachment, and walk around on the gazebo roof, washing the "upper" half and cupola. Next, setup your ladder on the ground outside and wash the "lower" half, moving the ladder for each section. This gives the best results as edge cleaning and wand control is much easier. Otherwise, you will have to use an extended lance for the top, and the shorter lance for the bottom, requiring two circuits with the ladder or a lance change on each section.

Do take care on washing the edges of the shakes. An ~ 45 degree angle is ideal. A much lower angle can lift off shakes due to water pressure and split/damage them.

Edited by RPetry

On that type of roof, we use a ladder with standoffs.

You can position on each pitch with ease and work off the ladder.

In my experience, once a cleaner is applied, the shakes can become very slippery with all the algae on them.
I did a large gazebo once and Beth had to come to my rescue with another ladder because the one I was using fell over

with a pull of the hose while I was on the roof washing.
I started to slide off because the area was wet and coated with a percarbonate. Luckily, I had a cupola to grab onto to stop my fall till

Beth got the ladder into position so I could slide down to it and then get off.

Something to consider...

Rod