Sign in to follow this  
chuckskidmore195

Vinyl siding

Question

9 answers to this question

Hi chuckskidmore,

The best way to clean vinyl siding is to wash vinyl siding with a soft cloth or ordinary long-handled, soft bristle brush. For textured surfaces, use only a soft bristle brush to keep the grooves in the texture stain-free.

Thanks!!

If you are using bleach in your mix to wash.....rinse thoroughly.

Residue of bleach breaks down the surface of siding causing it to become chalky over time with subsequent

wet conditions (humidity, rain, etc.) that can reactivate that residue.

Rod

The days of cleaning vinyl on a continuing bases with a brush & cloth is ancient history. No offense but doing a house like that these days is like saying you saw a dinosaur at the beach.

Wish that were the case in my area.

I have many customers who have been splash and dashed by bleach bandits who continually leave

bleach all over the siding to not only oxidize the surface but become the progenitor of the molds

return.

When bleach breaks down into it's basic elements, it becomes the food on which the mold feeds

and grows back. Not only that, it becomes more resistant to bleach. I have had houses that required

way too much then I normally use just to get the stuff to turn brown. Still have to brush it to remove the

residue especially in those types of vinyl siding that have the long groove in it. (hate those).

Rod

The guys that splash & dash vinyl obviously don't know what they're doing. Vinyl is such an easy clean that we can price them out without even showing up to do the estimate.(This takes some experience in doing). If guys are brushing houses more power to them.

We haven't had to brush any in 21 yrs in business but I'll say this, we are not in the business of "restoring" vinyl. We just clean it to the customers satisfaction. Restoring vinyl to take out oxidation for example is great money but it's not for us.