Sign in to follow this  
Ania K Jankowski

Sealing Ipe End grain

Hello! I happened to stumble upon this website when I was doing research for which stain to use on my new Ipe deck. I found this forum to be way more useful and productive than gardenweb. After reading several posts, we have decided that we will be going with Armstrong-Clark's stain for hardwood (albeit we will let the wood age a bit, as recommended by many of you and the company themselves). However, I am having a really hard time coming across much info on which product to use to seal the end grains. 

I read in several places to stay away from Anchor Seal, as it can cause grey discoloration up to an inch deep visible on the surface of the wood. I've also read in several places that people get good results by sealing the end grain with whichever stain they choose for the surface. I called AC and was told they don't know much about which product to use on the end grain...so I called Good Fellows and they suggested using Ipe Seal (along with Ipe Oil for the surface, which I haven't really heard that many good things about, so it makes me hesitant to try Ipe Seal).

Does anyone have a recommendation for which product to use to seal the end grain with? I appreciate any input! 

Thank you!

Ania,

Anchorseal works well on ipe' cuts.  Used it when "reskinning" and installing ipe' on my own deck.  Stain will not be effective in preventing checking at end grain cuts.

Caveat.  Take your time and be careful when applying Anchorseal.  Make sure you only apply the product on the "cut" of the ipe', nowhere else.

Thank you both for the response. Yes I know that it only goes on the cut ends, however some people were complaining that it penetrates into the wood a little deeper and leaves a discoloration that's visible on the top side of the wood. We ended up going with Ipe Seal as recommended by the supplier. Hopefully we won't be having this issue... which leads me to another question.

Some of the (fresh from the supplier) boards do indeed have some sort of discoloration at the ends. We're not sure if it's just super dirty or if it's discoloration from the end grain sealer. Should we make fresh cuts on these ends, or install as is and hope it fades? Has anyone had this sort of problem with fresh wood direct from the supplier?

Edited by Ania K Jankowski