Sign in to follow this  
Paul Rosen

Paul Rosen

Question

Hello,

I am a new member and seeking advice.  We are installing a 5,000 sq. ft. deck of KD 2x6 S4S tight knot Alaskan Yellow Cedar on a restaurant deck that is protected from the sun.  Most of it is under a large lanai and the balance under a 1,200 sq. ft. Tiki. The location is Ft. Myers Beach, Fl.  I would like advice on staining it a light/medium brown and then sealing it with something along the lines of a polyurethane product so it can be cleaned and maintain it beauty.  A small portion of it, about 400 sq. ft,. is exposed to the sun for part of the day.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

Paul

2 answers to this question

I would not recommend using any type of polyurethane on an exterior surface.
It will discolor, peel and become a bigger maintenance issue.
Cedar is very soft comparably to other species and for the installation and purpose you
have designated is going to be a frequent maintenance issue.

The reason being is that it compacts very easily causing and this will lead to the breakdown of the
wood fibers any coating is holding on to, to lose hold and begin the peeling and flaking.

The walking traffic dirt (servers and patrons) and spills (food and drink etc) are going to get ground in to any exposed wood causing
blemishes that will soon be irreversible.

Most restaurants will use just an oil preservative with whatever color they decide and budget for cleaning based upon use and exposure.
In retrospect, a hard wood would have made a good option for this purpose.

Rod

Yellow Alaskan and Port Orford cedars are  almost hard woods . i take care of a few . Very difficult to care for because of the lack of penetration of oil products and its hardness . Difficult situation for the selection of this wood .