Sign in to follow this  
Dave's Precision Mowing

One residential machine??

Question

Hello all  Very new here and looking to maybe get into soft washing residential roofs and vinyl siding.

My question is would it be possible to use a roof system with 12v pumps to soft wash vinyl as well?

I know the mixes would change a little but seems it would work for most ranch homes as well as a few

shorter 2 stories.  Any input would be appreciated Thanks

10 answers to this question

There are those who use pumps for washing houses but many prefer either downstreaming or applying with an x-jet/m-jet or other injector system.

My suggestion is you try both and see which works best for you regarding the equipment set up you have.

Rod

Thanks Rod Looking at the Fatboy system for roofs ($1400). Also an 8gpm 3500 machine with buffer tank

and chemical tanks on a dual axel trailer.  Looking to build my own and add hot water in the future. I know I want to 

DS but not sure which way to go.  Really don't think I want to haul a 5 gal bucket of Chems around the house with me

should be able to DS from Chem tank on trailer. Just need to figure out plumbing.  Thanks Rod

No Problem.
We use a 5gal cubetainer to avoid spills when house washing.
Personally, didn't care for the delay in DS'ing waiting for soap to fill/empty the line.
Added to the time in my thinking but that's just me. Instant gratification eh?

Keep in mind the hazards of a chem tank on a trailer and the hazmat issues/penalties if you
are involved in an accident and have a spill. We all drive safely but there are those few who
make driving on the road perilous at times as you may well know.

Food for thought.

Rod

Rod Those are very good points I do like the "cubetainer" idea and I too am an instant gratification guy. lol

I have been reading and learning a lot on these forums and appreciate the pros help.  I see a lot of talk about air pumps for roof

cleaning.  Why would you want to haul around an air compressor and a generator instead of a couple batteries?  I'm also thinking about

all the noise in the neighborhoods as well as a pressure washer going. I'm  more of a stealth kind of guy in and out Ninja style!!  Also,

How many gal of mix do you go through for a typical roof wash 2000 sqft?

Thanks   Dave

We aren't roof cleaners by any stretch so I'll let others reading contribute to that question on consumption.
I'm sure your 'stealth' approach will raise some questions from fellow roof cleaners though.
They may be interested in how.

Rod

We use both M5 X-Jet for House washing and we use a 12 volt 7gpm Fatboy or Shureflow Pump for Roofcleaning. We like the X-jet because you can reach upwards of 3 stories. You can apply chemical without ladders and can also clean most vertical surfaces without ladders. The roof setup gets the right chemical on the roof surface at low pressure.

Hello Dave and welcome to this board.  Evidently there are pros and cons to every method that you may choose.  If you are considering using a twelve volt pump for both applications house washing and roof cleaning there are some things to consider.  Twelve volt pumps are mainly used for roof washing as they are very durable hence the air pump are also used exclusively  by roof washers due to the durability to the Sodium Hyprocloride. If you are trying to save money and use one machine for both applications roofs and house washing I would consider a gas driven pump, the drew back is that these machines are not very durable so you would have to do some research to find what fits you best.   If you want to do roofs I would suggest you look for some one in your area that is willing to take you under thier wing and provide you with some training.   The key to a successful operation is to have to the proper training that will definitely save a lot of head aches in the future.  One name that comes to mind when it comes to roof cleaning is Chris Tucker, a very nice man that will help get going.  Good luck to you.   

Edited by mike movila

Hey Dave a matter of fact you can clean both with 12v but run one tank for your roof mix an a seperate tank house wash doing only residential ! Just doing roofs your leaving a lot of cash on the table! It's a pain in the but using 2 tanks but depends on your cash! A small investment in a pressure washer an DS is the way to go .But for roof cleaning you would still need a tank an designated pump.Not to knock Xjeting. Do a little research on this forum an you decide whats best for you.

Edited by gman201

Dave regarding your question in regards to how many gallons it would take you to clean a two thousand square foot roof. This also depends on how dirty the roof you are cleaning is. Usually you can easily go through eighty Gallons of roof mix. Some times you also may have to reapply until the substrate is totally clean