jmyrick11

Deck Project

What I thought was something I had not done for about 5 years turned out to be almost 8 when I came back to this site and found pics and posts from the last time I did this.  Anyway, last time I used Stainsolver, citric neutralizer and AC Semi-Trans.  So last time I researched and researched and went this route.  This past week rolled around and I found I had a free day so I decided I was going to clean the deck and then seal it later.  This time my research consisted of going to HD & Lowes and getting Olympic Deck Cleaner.  While it did clean the deck the wood looks more washed out now instead of PTW and this is probably due to the presence of bleach in the product.  Any suggestions on how to get the wood in a better state before staining or do you think anything else is needed?  I still have to clean most of the rails as I ran out of product.

Thanks for any additional information.  This forum was very helpful last time when I actually took my time!!!

Industry standards for deck cleaning involve a 2 step method. Cleaning/stripping with a sodium hydroxide based product and

then neutralizing with oxalic acid or combination of oxalic and citric acid. This returns the wood to its normal pH and renders the

cleaner/stripper inactive.

Stains....that's a question for the environment of your deck.
Tell me about what is around. Hot tub, trees, bushes up close. Is the deck ground level, <2' above ground or higher?
Is it on the north, south, east or west side? Is there a pool nearby?
Understanding the environment is the first step in deciding what will serve best.

Next. How old is the deck? Does it have a lot of checking (longitudinal cracks)? Splintering/feathering?
What was last installed on the deck for a coating or sealer/stain?

Rod

Like I said in my post that is how I cleaned the deck last time when it wasn't a last second decisyto do so. This time I used the Olympic Deck Cleaner. Deck looks more washed out now, maybe a brightened will bring it back?  As for the existing deck it is facing NW about 4.5' above ground. There is some cracking but not a lot. It was last covered with Armstrong Clark Semitrans about 7 years ago. There is no other moisture source near the deck like a pool or hot tub. It gets direct sun from about noon until maybe 5 during the summer but full shade in the morning. 

Any feedback would be great. Thanks

Edited by jmyrick11

If you used a bleach product to clean with, there is no bringing back the original color with additional washing.
My suggestion is to select a stain that you like and expect extra absorption. ie; coverage rate will be lower than normal.

Rod

I had already ordered some percarb and citrus and was going to test a spot to see.  Ah, either way can use the cleaners for my sons baseball pants!!!

Any suggestions on a deck stain, looking at maybe something a little more than a semitrans so that it lasts longer.  Any experience with the Defy Extreme products?  Last time I used AC which worked well but didn't really last as long as I thought it would.

Thanks

All products today are designed to fail. The thing to keep in mind is the maintenance aspect of each.
Some will require stripping in order to keep it looking uniform. Others can be washed and recoated without
stripping.
Armstrong is one of those.
DEFY. I have applied it to a couple of decks and neither homeowner liked it. Matter of fact, they stopped using me
for a time and went with another contractor. They have both since returned but I contribute their dissatisfaction to DEFY.

TWP is another in the line of oil based products that is easy to maintain as well. But remember, they will need to be cleaned
and recoated every two years.

Rod

Well I did the percarb and citric follow up and this is the end result.  Much better than just using the Olympic Deck cleaner.  Now I get to wait for the deck to dry out and try to stain in between!!  Decided to go back to the AC Cedar Semi-trans instead of the solids.  Was leaning towards the solids after the deck wasn't cleaning up very well.

IMG_1109.JPG

Wow. Quite a long time. You may need to rewash it as it looks like the deck is starting to darken up in spots.

My suggestion is to take 1 gallon of water, 1/4 gallon of bleach and apply to the horizontals. Allow to work and lighten up
the darkening areas and rinse. Neutralize with citric acid again and rinse once more.

What this does is address any biological growths starting up in the wood fibers and makes sure they can't
grow under the sealer once you get to apply.

Rod

Gotcha. I thought you meant it hadn't been sealed yet.
Then the dark patches are where water is showing it has gotten into the wood.
Not a sealer failure, just an eventuality since the deck can't be sealed on all sides
once it is built.

Rod