Sign in to follow this  
dhou

Armstrong Clark with residue

Hello - Last year I stained a cedar deck with AC semitransparent Sierra Redwood stain.   Prior to staining, the deck was cleaned and sanded with 60 grit.   Moisture level of the wood was 10% prior to staining.  Application was with a roller.

The deck itself is about 6 years old and south facing so receives about 4-5 hours of sunlight in the summer.  I live in the northeast so it sees a bit of snow as well.

I suspect I over applied a little as I was getting some wipe off, even 4 weeks after the initial application.  It wasn't too bad, but was definitely noticeable when you were for example wearing white socks on the deck.  I had hoped that over the winter and after cleaning this spring with bleach/water/detergent, this issue would resolve but I have just cleaned and even in spots that clearly need reapplication, there is still wipe off residual when I use a white cloth.  

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong at this point or what to do next... any advice and help would be greatly appreciated!

A/C needs to be applied to absorption and the excess removed.
It is comprised of 2 oils. 1 drying oil and 1 moisturizing that doesn't dry.
It takes anywhere from 24-36 hours for these 2 to balance out and set up.
If over applied, there will be no ability for the drying oil to set up properly.

Clean the deck again using a percarbonate cleaner and neutralize with oxalic/citric acid brightener.
Apply with a stain pad and only allow the product to penetrate the wood and remove any excess.

Rod

Thanks Rod - I will start the process over again and let you know how it goes.  

For percarbonate I've used Oxy with surfactant and that seems to have worked well.  What dilution of citric acid do you typically recommend?  

Do you have a specific recommendation for a stain pad?   Locally I have access to the Shur-Line pads but would be willing to get whatever you suggest would work best.  Thanks!

49 minutes ago, Beth n Rod said:

It can be very confusing. After all the pail says it can take a light rain in 60 minutes.

Good luck.

Beth

Beth - did you answer the right thread?

Thanks Beth - always appreciate additional input!  Do you happen to have any recommendations regarding a dilution of citric acid or stain pad?

I also want to say that I received a call from Jake Clark, the president of Armstrong Clark regarding the issue that I was asking about on this thread.  Extremely nice and friendly guy with some additional suggestions!  Talk about incredible responsiveness and backing for his product!

8 hours ago, dhou said:

Thanks Rod - I will start the process over again and let you know how it goes.  

For percarbonate I've used Oxy with surfactant and that seems to have worked well.  What dilution of citric acid do you typically recommend?  

Do you have a specific recommendation for a stain pad?   Locally I have access to the Shur-Line pads but would be willing to get whatever you suggest would work best.  Thanks!

The dilution depends on the product you use. Not all have the same concentration.
We mix ours onsite since they come in powder form and tailor it to the conditions needed.

Shur-Line pads  are fine. Don't care for the handles but for one deck you can't beat it.
We use a product from Padco but you have to buy in bulk unless you can find a dealer
locally to get one or two from.

Rod

Hi Beth - Hmm... I'm pretty sure my number is in my profile but Jake Clark sent me an email with his number.  I missed him when I initially called back, but we did get a chance to touch base this afternoon.

Rod - I've used citric acid anhydrous from the Chemistry Store which is also in powder form.   I've used about 6 ounces per gallon of water in the past.