Sign in to follow this  
marinegrunt

Help removing valves

I ordered a rebuild kit for my Karcher pump. The pump has 6 valves. There were 3 that I was able to tap out from the rear. The other 3 i was not so I tried prying up with a pick. What ended up happening is the top half of the valve separated from the bottom. I can tell they're assembled like that there just wasn't enough tightness to pull the while valve out. The round metal base with o-ring is what's still in the pump. Is there a trick or even a special tool to remove it? Seems like maybe a tiny pair of reverse vice grips would work if they even make them. I've considered heating up the brass body a little so it expands some. I don't know if that's a good idea or not. I do all the time on aluminum when replacing bearings. I do have the valves soaking in Kroil for the night hoping it'll lube them up.

I posted a picture of the whole valve and the top half of the valve. I also disassembled one so you can see the metal part that won't come out.

Any help is appreciated.

14969793319741058935885.jpg

Have you tried soaking in C.L.R.? We had to do that on a pump that we just repaired. The pump had hard water and calcium buildup in it that we couldn't see. Kinda like battery acid on a post. It worked for us...