Stevec48ul

Cedar Shake Questions

Question

Working on a quote for a large home that has cedar shakes. In several areas there is considable mold that the owner would like removed without restoring or cleaning all the shakes. Also a lot of the gutters, soffits, and facia is green and needs to be cleaned. Will that be possible without staning the cedar shakes of it splashes on them. My normal mix is SH/Water 50/50. and eleminator at the recommended ratio. Any comment would be welcomed. See pic.

Thanks in advance!

20171018_144012.jpg

1 answer to this question

I can understand your intention to address the customers request but keep this in mind. . . The customer doesn't always know what is best.
Cleaning just a part without touching adjacent shakes is a surgical operation and unless you intend to do it by hand just give em a price break
to clean them all to look the same (or as close to it as possible considering the proximity to the ground.)

I am guessing the shakes have been replaced at some point in the past and the h.o. is proceeding based upon advice given by the installer.
The installer is NEVER there to see the progress of nature and exposure for the sake of maintenance. They only see it once everything has
gone to rot and decay requiring replacement.

Use your best judgement and remember also this....your reputation is in the results. Others don't know the arrangement you make and their
perceptions will be based upon solely what you complete. They may think you weren't doing a good job and got fired.

Food for thought.

Rod