gt2003

Teak Swim Platform clean and restain

I am buying a used ski boat with a Teak swim platform that will need to be redone.  Will this be a oxalic/EFC 38 and Citralic type thing with some type of teak oil stain afterwards or is there a better system to use?  The platform is removable from the boat if that matters.  Thanks

It's bare wood, maybe some old, old teak oil but that's it.  It's pretty weathered but the wood is in good shape.  I'm planning to use restore-a-deck as the sealer store has free shipping on it.  I've used efc-38/citralic in the past.  Will I notice a difference?  Do you expect I'll be happy with the restore-a-deck?  Thanks, Greg

Absolutely.....not.

That product will only hold up well if you can coat all 6 sides of the board to limit dynamic changes in the wood and even then if it
is going to be subject to salt water...disaster.

Most often, a teak oil is the best option to keep the wood moisturized in the interim but will need to be done up to 2x a year to
maintain the look.
If the boat is covered when not in use and the craft is only for occasional use, just give the decking a light sanding to keep it from
getting rough from drying out and leave it bare.

But by no means would I ever recommend restore-a-deck or any similar product on a hardwood like teak.

Rod

@Beth n Rod  Are you talking about the cleaner/brightener restore-a-deck, similar to efc-38/citralic?  That's what I was referring to, not any kind of stain/polyurethane etc.  I just thought I would clean it and brighten it before I used the teak oil.  If this isn't necessary I will just sand then oil.  Thanks again

gt2003,
Thank you for that clarification.
yes, clean with a sodium hydroxide based cleaner and neutralize with an acid.
I mistakenly leaped to the conclusion of the deck coating product of same name.

Rod